Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do you like the factory/stock stereo in your Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The stock stereo in my ES seemed bass-heavy, but overall, I was very pleased with it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ^ Do you have the LCD/navi one?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    No, just the plain CD/Mp3 player.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    No, just the plain CD/Mp3 player.
    The stock ES head unit is indeed very bass heavy. it's actually the reason that I considered trying out my sub with built in crossover because the bass on the doors was so heavy I couldn't have anything in my doors without it rattling and that **** got annoying fast.
    I've since wired the back doors (since the front seems to carry good enough bass lines at lower bass boost frequencies) to the sub then ran the filtered highs back to the back speakers so that it didn't sound TOO mono.

It gives the car a bit of a dead feel in terms of the highs being sent through the crossover, but I think that's more the crossovers fault since the sub unit, and crossover were built in the early '80's (design acoustics clw-10) and there is a LOT of capacitor aging going on that I'll probably have to work on sometime soon.

The boom coming from the back is NICE. It's heavy enough in car to where even a dubstep/bass head such as myself has trouble wanting to listen to it past 37 but it doesn't flood outside of the car at all (which is REALLY odd considering how easily the highs do) (but I think that's primarily a design fault of the doors themselves since I can't hear anything flooding out of the rear hatch, or front of the car.)

I've found that with the sub wired into the rear channels pushing highs back to the rear speakers it sounds really good, but there is a dead spot right in the middle of the front seats where you get NOThING but bass, but that may just be due to me having the subwoofer buckled into the rear drivers side seat and facing me (sealed unit).

Playing Evil Dub by Trentmoller on that system was the biggest mistake of my life. If you're sitting in the car you'd never be able to tell that such a tiny ass system was doing all that work.
    The amount of the excursion on the stock speakers is astounding too. I've seen almost 2" of excursion on those things, and for 15w 6Ohm speakers that's HELLA impressive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 36.2 mpg (US) ... 15.4 km/L ... 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.5 mpg (Imp)

Phantasmagoria
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mine sounds very good to me, not perfect but nice. I have the navi/lcd setup. I mostly listen to metal/rock and it satisfies!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I'm happy with it too

I don't have the Navi, I use a smartphone with Sygic for directions and a Parrot for Bluetooth hands free telephone communication.

I specially like the USB input. I have a 16 Gb stick with all kinds of music! I just love it!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Spacestar Invite 1.0 manual: 48.2 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I always think that factory speakers need more treble - unless the car comes with tweeters from factory.

I'm not saying that cars NEED tweeters, I'm just saying that factory speakers dont have the clarity (treble) of aftermarket speakers.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I thought about the navi for the dvd function cuz of my 2yo but after careful consideration i said screw it. I am working on extending the monitor cable of my old 17" laptop at the moment and will be finding a way to mount it to the passenger seat headrest so she can watch movies that way without fear of her hitting buttons since the keyboard portion will be in the back of the hatch. xD

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 36.2 mpg (US) ... 15.4 km/L ... 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The dvd function locks out when the car is in motion. Not a solution for keeping kids entertained while on the go.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aydu View Post
    The dvd function locks out when the car is in motion. Not a solution for keeping kids entertained while on the go.
    But your friendly neighborhood audio/video car installers can fix that for you. Usually under 50$. If you're lucky, even 20$.