Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the slowest car you've ever owned and ever driven!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    88 corolla FX sohc auto.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    88 corolla FX sohc auto.

I raced one of those at the local dirt track a couple of years ago. It was actually pretty quick because it was completely stripped out and weighed 1800 pounds.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It can be. Esp with a silvertop high revving engine... Or a supercharged 4agZe.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by viscositosis tribocessive View Post
    In 1980, I bought a brand new VW Rabbit PU Truck Diesel I4 1.5L 4spd MT 48 HP 45MPG City/Hwy, driving slow, slower, or fast as possible. Did not matter. It blew thick, black smoke out the tailpipe, especially when climbing hills (there were absolutely no diesel smog laws!). I traded it in at 150,000 miles. I loved that thing. Oh wait, it wasn't a Thing. That's a different VW. There is little doubt in my mind that a VW Microbus would have blown my Sportruck away in a race. In a year or so, VW beefed up the engine to a 1.6L. Wish I still had it and had taken impeccable care of it, just like anyone who ever owned a 3 cylinder Metro/Firefly.
    Owned quite a few diesel VWs...the last one was a non-turbo 1.6 '91 Jetta. I had this '81 diesel before that...

Slowest was a 1980ish Mercedes 240D with a four-speed. I test drove it when I had veggie oil/biodiesel dreams, and the owner said, "When the light changes, just keep it floored when you row through the gears."

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Owned quite a few diesel VWs...the last one was a non-turbo 1.6 '91 Jetta. I had this '81 diesel before that...

Slowest was a 1980ish Mercedes 240D with a four-speed. I test drove it when I had veggie oil/biodiesel dreams, and the owner said, "When the light changes, just keep it floored when you row through the gears."
    Nice. Bet the relative torque came in handy on ski trips with your '81 diesel Jetta. I remember that between 1980 & 1981 model year VW moved the yellow turn signal lights from the front bumper to up next to the headlights. Blast from the past.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by viscositosis tribocessive View Post
    Nice. Bet the relative torque came in handy on ski trips with your '81 diesel Jetta. I remember that between 1980 & 1981 model year VW moved the yellow turn signal lights from the front bumper to up next to the headlights. Blast from the past.

Yeah, it was a neat little car. I paid $250 bucks for it. The previous owner was using it as a commuter and it died on the freeway. He couldn't restart it, and assumed it was toast. My buddy and I put some diesel in it, pull-started it, and it fired right up. I actually pulled the ugly US-spec headlights out and put Euro headlights in.

Name:  jetta 008.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  93.5 KB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-30-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The slowest for me was a 1934 Migdalane , 2 cylinder carburated nightmare , hell shopping carts could go faster than that .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'd have to go with my first car. 89 Toyota Tercel 4spd. GREAT car. Never gave me any problems.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That 81 Jetta diesel is beautiful.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Thanks
    Slowest I've owned 58 VW, maybe 28 hp on a good day. Slowest driven 39 Ford farm truck, speedo stopped at 55 or 60 if memory serves, straight gear crash box, super skills needed for downshifting.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)