Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: What's the slowest car you've ever owned and ever driven!

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-88 View Post
    I recently bought a 1995 Wrangler. It has the 2.5L engine and manual trans. Sitting on 35'' tires it is quite possibly the slowest thing I have driven. It was regeared to 4.88 and it will get to 30 in a hurry, but anything after that is a no. There's a 3 mile flat stretch by me. Foot-to-the-floor, I was able to hit 60 after about 2 miles.
    Oh man, that is slow. I had a 1995 Suzuki Sidekick on 29s with 95 hp. It was stock gearing, but that was 5.13s. It was slow, but not THAT slow. I have a Cherokee on 31s that's regeared to 4.56, and it also gets to 30 in a hurry. Still powerful. Not fast, but not THAT slow, either.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My other Jeep is a 2000 Cherokee on 32s with stock gears. I really would like to regear it since it just kills it and I can only use Drive. But, it's not priority. Towing my camper with the 32s on the thing is interesting. Usually any hills on the interstate and it's in 1st gear at the rev limiter to go at least 35.

This Wrangler is very tired. The previous owner ran it without an air filter for a few months. There's very little compression. If I pull the oil cap off I can feel it all coming out of that. Transmission is junk too. 1st and 2nd gear don't usually work

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My other Jeep is a 2000 Cherokee on 32s with stock gears. I really would like to regear it since it just kills it and I can only use Drive. But, it's not priority. Towing my camper with the 32s on the thing is interesting. Usually any hills on the interstate and it's in 1st gear at the rev limiter to go at least 35.

This Wrangler is very tired. The previous owner ran it without an air filter for a few months. There's very little compression. If I pull the oil cap off I can feel it all coming out of that. Transmission is junk too. 1st and 2nd gear don't usually work
    Is your XJ a manual or auto? Mine is a manual and came with the tall 3.07 gears. The 4.56s were a big jump, but it's fantastic off road. Plus, if I ever go to 33s, I won't have to regear again.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's an automatic. While I am generally not a fan of automatics I know the aw4 is extremely reliable so it's okay. Nice for rock crawling. I was using it as a truck for awhile so towing a lot. I always look for 4 cyl Cherokee at the junkyard so I can swap in the axles. I did open up the differential and install an auto locker

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's an automatic. While I am generally not a fan of automatics I know the aw4 is extremely reliable so it's okay. Nice for rock crawling. I was using it as a truck for awhile so towing a lot. I always look for 4 cyl Cherokee at the junkyard so I can swap in the axles. I did open up the differential and install an auto locker
    Yeah. My '01 has the NV3550 5MT.

We put an ARB air locker in the rear of mine. A little snow wheeling from last winter:

Name:  The PDXJ.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  101.5 KB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

TXmirageGUY (12-14-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Toss up.

My 60's Isetta? 73 Honda 600cc air cooled twin? 68 Vauxhall?

If it's slow I've probably owned it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    1990 Hyundai Excel 4 speed manual
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    1972 Chevy Vega 3 speed. Shifter was like shifting with a rubber hose. My uncle called it the Maytag, he said it sounded like an old Maytag washer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.2 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.9 mpg (Imp)

Member BillThompsonMirage-ES-CVT's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had a 1987 Chevrolet Chevette with A/T. Zero pick up. One time on a business trip to Colorado Springs, CO (6,000 feet above sea level), it would barely pull away from a stop light. To add insult to injury, I had to use higher octane unleaded fuel all the time to prevent engine knock. A real POS.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.4 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

slowest cars

I've owned a few vehicles that seemed slower than my 2017 Mirage ES (manual), but I don't have actual recorded 0-60 times to prove it.

In my opinion, my slowest car would have been my 1978 Honda Civic Wagon (5 speed manual). My first car bought used. 1488 cc & 63 hp. It had lots of carburetor issues, & it had a hand choke knob on the dash. Yet the car had some features that I wish my other cars had. The back seat folded completely flat. The rear seat portion folded up and the rear seat back clipped into the bottom of it (slick design). It had a very flat cargo area for a small car. Even the rear door cranks had spring loaded handles that flipped flat when not in use. Not a very powerful car, & it has made me appreciate cars with fuel injection!

78 hp in a Mirage is plenty! I like driving small cars with manual transmissions. I would probably love driving/owing a Mazda Miata, but owning a Mirage seems way more practical. My summertime convertible is my Kawasaki Versys motorcycle for now!