Thread: Full Frontal Crash Test

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Full Frontal Crash Test

Why must they always sacrifice the ES's

I do like the under body shot!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alex16 For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (02-06-2015),DirectNova (02-04-2015),kerc (02-04-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    Why must they always sacrifice the ES's

I do like the under body shot!

That's actually impressive. The cabin doesn't deform at all. Take an old Metro from the 90's and do that same test.

It's interesting the changes in metallurgy in automobile structures in just the past ten years. For decades, frames were just made of A36, a mild steel. Low carbon content, you can't really harden it even if you try. In an attempt to make cars lighter, and at the same time safer in crashes, another alloy has started to make an appearance - 41xx Steel. (Usually 4130) This material has been around since the 40's, and is also called "Chromoly". It is used in higher-end bicycle frames, firearms, and aircraft.

It is now making an appearance in cars. All the manufacturers call it something different, but the "RISE" structure of the mirage is just one more place you find this material. It's considerably stronger than typical mild steel, so they can use less of it by weight - and still end up with a stronger frame.

If I remember correctly, a piece of 4130 sheet that is .105" thick will stop a 9mm bullet from 10 feet away. A36 or Gr50 can't do that. Those materials have their place, however - most structural steel is A36, whenever weight isn't a concern.