Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Front Brakes rotors and pads removal and lubrication

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Keep in mind I don't know what I'm doing. I currently have over 200k miles on my 2014 Mirage.

I replace the brake pads every 100k miles and recently replaced the rotors at 200k miles.

The plan is to keep replacing pads every 100k miles and to not worry about the rotors again unless the car reaches 400k miles. Should the car live long enough, I will have the original rotors turned and will put them back on the car at 400k miles.
    Cool, your pads lasted 100k miles? I'm easy on brakes also, hope to get 100k from them as well.

Last edited by tomrad; 09-02-2018 at 04:43 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    Cool, your pads lasted 100k miles? I'm easy on brakes also, hope to get 100k from them also.
    I use OEM brake pads. Each time I replace them, I'm amazed at how much meat is left on them. I could easily get 150k to 200k on the OEM pads but to be safe I replace them every 100k miles anyway.

It's not expensive to do, Rock Auto has the OEM pads, and it's just easier to keep track of maintenance every 100k miles.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

tomrad (09-02-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just replaced my pads at 59000 miles. They were grinding nicely. Is it my driving? Haha

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ed100 View Post
    I just replaced my pads at 59000 miles. They were grinding nicely. Is it my driving? Haha
    Yes. I bet you are a tailgater too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes. I bet you are a tailgater too.
    Actually, I’m not a tailgater at all, but I drive over a mountain daily to get to work, and there’s a lot of braking on the ride back home.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ed100 View Post
    Actually, I’m not a tailgater at all, but I drive over a mountain daily to get to work, and there’s a lot of braking on the ride back home.
    Well that makes a lot of sense too. Given the mountain driving, it is probably safe to say your clutch disk won't reach 200k miles. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I've heard that stuff like that is rough on clutches.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well that makes a lot of sense too. Given the mountain driving, it is probably safe to say your clutch disk won't reach 200k miles. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I've heard that stuff like that is rough on clutches.
    I’m sure it won’t last 200k. I’m not the smoothest standard shift driver either.

So far the only oem part I've found on rock auto has been spark plugs and light bulbs. Who makes the brake pads for mitsubishi?

Our one car with the highest mileage only had the front brakes changed once. It's not cause the driver had special skills and everyone else sucks that drives is a retard. It's cause they drove on the highway 99% of the time, hense the high mileage....Geese if you actually use your brakes 200 times a day as opposed to 10 times who do you think will need to replace them first.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (11-19-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When I removed my stock pads to upgrade them, I noted that they were stamped Akebono. I was impressed. Akebono also makes the OE 1st and 2nd gen Miata ceramic brake pads, which are very, very good.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    So far the only oem part I've found on rock auto has been spark plugs and light bulbs. Who makes the brake pads for mitsubishi?
    These are the pads I use:
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=3307017&jsn=4

Rock Auto lists them as being OE ceramic. I thought that meant OEM but I've been wrong before. What I do know, is I put a set on my car at 100k miles. When I put another set on at 200k miles, the pads had about half of their meat left.

Good enough for me. They work, so should the car still be alive at 300k miles, it will get another set of the exact same brake pads.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (09-04-2018)