Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any aftermarket struts?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have 12000 miles on it right now with about a thousand miles on the springs.
    Also, just called Eibach, which does make springs for our cars, and they said they have no plans to make shocks/struts.

Also emailed Monroe and Gabriel.

Update: The KYB Excel-G struts I ordered shipped, so let's see if they fit when they get here. Also looked into the Tein coilover set, that would be my next option. It's about double the price of getting front struts from the dealer.

Second update: 99-02 Mirage struts do NOT fit. The springs for the older model are much wider in diameter than our current generation. Had to bite the bullet and order from the stealership. Total damage is $311 for both struts.

Third update: Picked up the struts from the dealer. Official cause of death for the old struts was leaking. I had the piston all the way down on one of the struts, and it leaked oil all over the bottom of the box. There was almost no resistance at all for both of them. I installed the new ones taking care to avoid any kind of scratching on the pistons, and finally bought a cordless impact wrench to use on the top nut.

Last edited by Cani Lupine; 02-24-2015 at 11:31 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cani Lupine For This Useful Post:

91cavgt (04-11-2015),Daox (03-28-2015),foama (02-19-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Thanks for all the updates Cani Lupine. Its good info for the rest of us.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)