Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Window Glass

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Rear Window Glass

So it seems my little car didn't get out of tonight's storms unscathed - I go to get something out of it a minute ago, and I hear a crunch when I shut the driver's door - the hatch glass is shattered.

Anyone know where to get this glass? RockAuto and Ebay are striking out. As is Amazon. I guess this is a dealer-only item?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Tinker,

You have my condolences and sympathy. I believe that the rear glass is a dealer only item, however, I would try a few windshield replacement companies, as there are a few mirage parts cars out there. I would try my luck there first before shelling out to the cold hand of the dealer, unless yours is reasonable. Best of luck and let us know how it goes (I'm sure a number of us will encounter the same ordeal over the coming years).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 45.8 mpg (US) ... 19.5 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Called the dealer, they wanted $568 for the glass, and didn't know what it would cost to install.

Robinson Glass, a local business, said they could have it tomorrow and it would cost $450 including tax and installation. Nice.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    That doesn't sound too horrible. Last time I had some rear glass replaced I think it cost me a bit over $300.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I called safelite, and they said they can do it for $368 installed.

Also, BOTH robinson glass and safelite told me that dealers just send their cars to them for thr glass. So no reason to use the dealer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Yeah, I had safelite do mine.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Went to look at the car in the light, to see what else other than the glass may need to be worked on, and to vacuum up and remove the bits of glass that are faling out or have fallen out.

I'm going to tentativley say the car escaped damage from the quarter sized hail - except for whatever broke the back window.

And this begs the question - so what DID break the window? Window on the wife's car, which isn't protected by any kind of overhang like our spoiler, was undamaged. As was her sunroof. Only my window was broken.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My first thought would've been an act of vandalism, however, that would've been just that, "a first thought".

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemustbebored View Post
    My first thought would've been an act of vandalism, however, that would've been just that, "a first thought".
    I keep coming back to vandalism as a possibility, but until I catch someone my concern is getting the glass fixed.

The car is locked up in my shop now to keep rain and weather out of it. Drove my 20 year old Jeep ZJ to work. Every time I drive it I'm reminded of what an interesting combination of luxury and screaming, chest-beating savagery it is. It does not, however, get gas mileage anywhere near what the mirage gets.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My apologies tinker, just now became aware of how severe the weather has been in OK. So strange for the rear hatch glass to go out like that though.