Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Mirage Owner Question (city fuel economy)

Banned
    Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

New Mirage Owner Question (city fuel economy)

I have a new North American 2014 Mirage SE CVT. I havn't even filled up the tank once yet but I'm a little worried about the dashboard fuel economy readings I'm getting. If the readings are to be believed they are inconsistent and, for city driving, not very good at all. Does andyone have any thoughts about whether the average fuel economy indicator is accurate over relatively short distances (under 10 km)? I sure hope these readings aren't accurate because my Geo Metro would have blown this car out of the water.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Did you reset the meter after you drove off the sales lot? Cars do a lot of idling sitting on dealer lots! That would show a very low number on the meter.

Welcome!

The Trip A fuel economy gauge resets after 4 hours of inactivity, and it does jump all around until averaged over a longer distance.

You should monitor the Trip B gauge (which only the driver resets) -- it holds a longer, more representative average. Accessing it is not intuitive. Let's see if I can find the thread about that... Here it is: http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ll=1#post10497

Also: it's normal for a new car to get worse mileage than one that's broken in.

Also: short trip urban use is just about the worst conditions in terms of getting good fuel economy. You know that already, I bet.

Also: I bet your Metro had a manual transmission if it got good mileage ... why didn't you get a manual Mirage?!? Despite the official fuel economy ratings, the manual Mirage gets better MPG results in the hands of a sensible driver.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Banned
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Welcome!

The Trip A fuel economy gauge resets after 4 hours of inactivity, and it does jump all around until averaged over a longer distance.

You should monitor the Trip B gauge (which only the driver resets) -- it holds a longer, more representative average. Accessing it is not intuitive. Let's see if I can find the thread about that... Here it is: http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ll=1#post10497

Also: it's normal for a new car to get worse mileage than one that's broken in.

Also: short trip urban use is just about the worst conditions in terms of getting good fuel economy. You know that already, I bet.

Also: I bet your Metro had a manual transmission if it got good mileage ... why didn't you get a manual Mirage?!? Despite the official fuel economy ratings, the manual Mirage gets better MPG results in the hands of a sensible driver.
    I'm using my 1994 1.0 liter manual Geo Metro as a reference for this type of city driving. I was pulling off about 13 km/L. So far the Mirage isn't even close at about 11 km/L (measured over a coupe of days and 35 km). I understood that the CVT was supposed to do better for milage and that's why I got it. I have noticed there are two types of readings (trip average and accumulated average) but I have assumed (hoped) that it would take time for the readings to get enought data to be accurate.

In general, government ratings handicap manual transmissions. Meaning, an efficiency-minded manual driver will be able to beat the ratings much easier than the same person driving an automatic.

It's a fuction of the way the tests are performed, with limits they put on the operation of the manual transmission during the dyno run. In the real world, automatics are especially worse on short trips from cold starts.

EG: View detailed fuel economy stats of CVT vs manual drivers on this forum.

EG: Gas mileage/MPG test: 2014 Mirage CVT vs. 5-speed (sub/urban Ottawa route)

And: Mirage CVT or 5-speed: which should you get for best gas mileage/fuel economy?

Keep in mind your car should get better as it breaks in, and as the ambient temperature warms up.

Drivers of the new Micra are finding the same thing: despite nearly identical official ratings of the auto vs. manual, the manual is returning significantly better real world fuel economy, especially in the city.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome !!! Glad to have you!!! Your wright up town with Metro!! Lol owning a Metro . Lol now a Mirage !! Welcome

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In city driving your mileage will be different depending how you drive. Mine does the same thing, one time it will say I'm getting 32mpgs and another time 35mpgs so the only real test is to keep tract of your miles and then fill it up and figure it that way
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Short drives kill average. Heavy stop and go is the worst. Plus winter gas will get less mpgs

Banned
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    In general, government ratings handicap manual transmissions. Meaning, an efficiency-minded manual driver will be able to beat the ratings much easier than the same person driving an automatic.

It's a fuction of the way the tests are performed, with limits they put on the operation of the manual transmission during the dyno run. In the real world, automatics are especially worse on short trips from cold starts.

EG: View detailed fuel economy stats of CVT vs manual drivers on this forum.

EG: Gas mileage/MPG test: 2014 Mirage CVT vs. 5-speed (sub/urban Ottawa route)

And: Mirage CVT or 5-speed: which should you get for best gas mileage/fuel economy?

Keep in mind your car should get better as it breaks in, and as the ambient temperature warms up.

Drivers of the new Micra are finding the same thing: despite nearly identical official ratings of the auto vs. manual, the manual is returning significantly better real world fuel economy, especially in the city.
    It's common knowlege that a manual does better than a conventional automatic. The Candian government NRCAN fuel efficiency website (http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/fcr-rcf/public/index-e.cfm) has always reflected this accurately and has always shown manual transmisions as getting better gas milage than automatics. When the Geo metro was around the manual rated much better (than the automatic) on their tests but now they show the Mirage CVT as significantly better than the manual. I assumed that the new CVT technology was responsible. The government site was getting it right before (for conventional automatics vs manual) so I don't see why, all of a sudden, they would have screwed up the CVT vs manual rating.
    Last edited by nternal1; 02-13-2015 at 11:07 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah and if your Green light is off your getting your worst mileage. So if your a heavy foot at the stop sign your mileage will suffer. So I recomend you be easy on the gas and keep that green light on and u will get the best mirage