Thread: Question for MetroMPG

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Question for MetroMPG

hi, being the metro lover that you are, i was wondering if you could give some comments on this car that i am looking at:

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/ctd/4838218413.html

what is your opinion on the 4dr model? is there anything in particular that i should look for if i go to take it for a test drive? any general comments regarding something that someone who hasn't owned one of these might not know or overlook?

Oops, I just saw this thread. And the ad is removed. Sorry about that!

Are you still considering one? If so, I'll post a more detailed reply.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would love to replace my Jeep with a Justy 4wd (manual transmission) simular to this http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/4886754437.html

sorry off topic lol. Just looking to keep the Mirage out of the salt!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    OT is okay 'cause we're in .... the loooouuuunge...

Metro, that car was for sale forever. i guess it finally sold. it was a really good condition 1994 4dr metro with 129,000 kms. i was interested in it but got cold feet because i was worried about being able to find parts for such an old girl. my civic is a '92 but there are still parts all over the place for it. i have no idea what it's like for metros however.

I don't think getting parts would be a problem. There are lots still on the roads and a dedicated forum for them. And the latest generation (95 to 01) used mostly the same mechanical/drivetrain components as '88 to '94.

Stay away from the automatics though: they're antiquated 3-speeds with NO torque converter and they got horrid mileage for such a small engine/light car. 25% worse than the manual.

They're surprisingly durable considering how lightly built they are. Rust usually kills them before mechanical problems. MAKE SURE the underbody isn't rotten (Achilles heel = corrosion causes the mounts for the front control arms to fail & fall off. )

I've seen many in the junk yard with well over 300k kms.

Another bonus: Driving one will make a Mirage feel like a sophisticated, comfortable performance car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

El Kapitan (02-21-2015)