Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Grey :: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Old Grey
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage DE
    Space Grey
    5-speed MT

Purchased 14 February 2015

Details

Sony AVX-100 android auto head unit. Factory component speakers and a hatch mounted 8" sub.

VW beetle rear coil springs.

•  

MB 15x6.5

195/60R15 Arizonian cheapo All Season tires

•  
    Comments: 15 / Views: 11564
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BecauseRaceCar View Post
    After 4 years of ownership I still enjoy the little fuel sipper. I am still running the VW Beetle rear springs with absolutely no regrets.

Also, I do not recommend cooper 60,000 mile rated tires as they can be "entertaining" in the rain.
    haha...have those tires as my summer tires. no traction at all starting out on wet pavement. they were pretty cheap and still have lots of tread, just no traction on wet pavement

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Isn't slipping on a wet surface more likely with a silicone compound tire?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    haha...have those tires as my summer tires. no traction at all starting out on wet pavement. they were pretty cheap and still have lots of tread, just no traction on wet pavement
    What Cooper tires do you have? Just curious?

I have always been impressed with Cooper tires. I run them both on my Subaru Forester and Chevy Impala driver's education car. The Bridgestone factory tires that were on my Subaru were the worst tires I have ever used on snow. They were horrible!!! Added Cooper CS4 tires, & my Subaru was a totally different machine. The CS4 are really worn down, but still do great in the summer. I use Cooper snow tires in the winter, and I am really impressed with them, too. My driver's ed car has the newer CS5 Grand Touring, and they have been impressive, too. We have a lot of hills in our area, and they get tested out traction-wise.

For the money, Cooper and Mastercraft have always been my favorite tires. Thus, I am wondering what type you are unhappy with?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have the grand prix touring RS in a 175/65r14 on factory steel wheels. They are usually at around 38psi to limit sidewall flex in corners.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 38.6 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BecauseRaceCar View Post
    I have the grand prix touring RS in a 175/65r14 on factory steel wheels. They are usually at around 38psi to limit sidewall flex in corners.
    That's not a Cooper tire that I have ever heard of, but the same tire is sold under other brand names (Sigma & Cordovan) I have never heard of either.

Cooper is quite large making MasterCraft, Starfire, & other brands. I've never experimented beyond Cooper & MasterCraft related brands.

Good to know you aren't crazy about them on wet roads. I wonder about their latest Cooper Evolution Tour? They sell a lot mid-priced tires that are usually a good value, but some are surely better than others.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I intend to spend a little money on some good Yokohama or Nito tires for the fronts at least. I may keep using the same tires I have now for the rear, because sideways is always more fun. I did really like the Bridgestone Potenza pole position tires on my E36. I don't know if they still make them though. Tires really shouldn't be where you try to save all of your money. A good set of tires can keep you alive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 38.6 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.4 mpg (Imp)