Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible rust concern - something to watch out for.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Possible rust concern - something to watch out for.

I noticed something when airing up my tires yesterday. Check this out:

This picture is of the rear wheel well, on the front side of the passenger tire. The driver's side rear well is the same.

There is a shelf of sorts, that did a great job of catching all the wet sand from the snowy roads we've had the past day or so. If it's collecting sand, it's also collecting salt. They don't salt the roads much in this area, normally just sand, but you guys in areas where they like to put down salt should keep an eye on this. I may look at making some sort of cover to block this area, after coating it in undercoating.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tinker1980 For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (02-18-2015),foama (02-18-2015),Messy Mitsu (02-18-2015),MetroMPG (02-19-2015),spork (03-06-2016),Teasmade (02-20-2015),ThunderG (02-19-2015)

Iive in Chicago and winters here are tough on cars. When I buy my new Mirage, I'll be sure to rust-proof and coat this and all the areas possible to prevent rust as much as possible. Sometimes I think I should just move to year round warm weather state since I like my cars so much.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidricardo86 View Post
    Iive in Chicago and winters here are tough on cars. When I buy my new Mirage, I'll be sure to rust-proof and coat this and all the areas possible to prevent rust as much as possible. Sometimes I think I should just move to year round warm weather state since I like my cars so much.
    We don't have year round warm weather here in OK, but we don't tend to have accumulations of snow that last very long - a day or two tops.

There is a very good How-To that someone posted on undercoating the rear wheel wells. I think it's in the how-to section.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinker1980 For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (02-19-2015)

Definite future rust area. Thanks for posting.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here in central NY we have lots of snow and I've noticed that cavity being perfect for accumulating snow and salt.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Phantasmagoria
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    On this theme, does anyone know how Mitsubishi handles rust claims? I thought we had a 10/100000 rust warranty. It's not that I want to ignore rust, I am just curious.
    Last edited by DonHoot; 02-19-2015 at 07:36 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    From working at a dealership their rust claims only mean they will replace the part IF it rusts to a point it breaks or will not pass inspection. I have seen them do some shady things just to get it to slide till after warranty is up.

-Corrosion Perforation Limited Warranty

Mitsubishi - 7 years/100,000 miles
    Toyota - 5 years/unlimited miles
    Honda - 5 years/unlimited miles
    Nissan - 5 years/unlimited miles
    Mazda - 5 years/unlimited miles
    Subaru - 5 years/unlimited miles
    Ford - 5 years/unlimited miles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I think it was last year or the year before, but I took in my sister's 03 Jetta TDI to have new front quarter panels put on it. VW put a sponge material in there, and it caused it to rust through right at the top of the wheel opening. The car is over 10 years old, but they have a 12 year warranty or something crazy like that on them. They didn't hassle me at all, but it was blatantly their fault and a common issue.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mitsu says in the warranty booklet that they'll cover rust-through perforated issues.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to R01k For This Useful Post:

Daox (02-20-2015)