Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basic questions about TPMS

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    That is interesting. I don't actually know if I have them or not - assumed I did because it is mentioned in the owner's manual. I'll have to check . . . not right now because it is -30C outside, but soon. Incidentally, it started like a champ at -30 (plugged in, of course), but the suspension is (like all cars) rather rough at that temp!
    I've looked up the current law on the Transport Canada website http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehicle...afety-1158.htm
    Looks like this system isn't required by law....unlike the States. Weird because we are usually in lock-step with them in matters like this. I figure it has a lot to do with the lawsuits resulting from the Ford Explorer/Firestone tire blowouts/rollovers from 15/20 years ago

Last edited by strawboss; 02-22-2015 at 01:25 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm glad the TPMS in these are only triggered by low pressures, so they don't freak out at 50 PSI. My landlady's '07 Chevy Impala triggers the sensors above 42 PSI.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My tpms sensor took 2 days to realize I had removed the front wheels (to inside my apartment). The system is a joke if it reacted quickly to notify drivers of a serious situation it would be useful, but since it took 2 days to realize two sensors were gone I doubt it does. I will be looking into turning mine off, the state inspection places in my county don't even know what tpms stands for, too small town around here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I've transferred the aftermarket TPMS system from my old smartcar to the Mirage....it's not as discrete as the OE systems but gives an instantaneous readout for each tire in PSI with a rapid deflate warning buzzer, the trade mark on the display is really lame though..... "Ever Smiling"

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Update - I conclusively do not have TPMS on my car (Canada SE 2014). I put 13" steel wheels with winter tires on and no light. I wasn't certain what to look for, but the valves looked normal. I asked the shop if there were any sensors on the summer wheels and they confirmed there were not. The mechanics I spoke with seemed to agree that TPMS is more hassle than it is worth in the cold, but it is important to manually check tire pressures regularly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)