Thread: New 2 Me Product Review: Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax + Mother's Back 2 Black

Country
    United States
    Thanks

New 2 Me Product Review: Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax + Mother's Back 2 Black

Hi guys, just wanted to share my experiences with 2 new products that I finally got to use!

1) Meguiar's: Quik Wax Spray
    2) Mother's: Back To Black

I bought Meg's QWS as a bolster to my 'real' wax. Every 3 months, I apply Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax, a synthetic liquid wax, so I just wanted something I could apply relatively quickly and easily after each wash between the 3 month intervals to get some renewed protection and slickness to the paint. When I apply even the 'real' wax (ULW), The slickness feeling is all but gone after 2-3 weeks. I hope this doesn't mean all the protection is gone..does it?? If it does, then it's a really crappy synthetic wax. I can only assume that the slickness is not an indicator of the wax's protective longevity, however, part of the protective properties I like in a wax IS the slickness so bug splatter/bird droppings are more easily removed. Quik Wax Spray between washes helped as the solution for me for my desired, renewed slickness.

Anyways, this is actually the 2nd time I've used QWS, but it IS the first time I got to use Back2Black. 1st time I used QWS, I used WAY too much. I was spraying the whole panel I was doing, and then spreading it around afterwards which in the end, resulted in me having a microfiber towel drenched in QWS that I could even squeeze a bunch of wasted product down the drain. You really only do have to mist a few sections of the panel you're working on. It spreads very nicely with a smaller, controlled amount.

My verdict so far on the QWS. Feels just like a 'normal' wax job slickness wise. The difference between a treated panel and a non-treated panel is night and day. Slickness lasts just like ULW, 2-3 weeks. Again, since I do not think the slickness length is the ultimate indicator of the longevity of a wax, I honestly have no idea how long this stuff lasts paint fade protection-wise. Since I plan on using it after every wash though (every 2-3 weeks), this is not an issue for me.

-----------------------------

After I applied UQW, I got to use Mother's Back To Black. I honestly had no idea what to expect from it. I live in FL, so the insane sun we get is always on the top of my mind. My car is NEVER garaged, outside 24/7. I have ULW and UQW for paint protection, but what about all the black, plastic/rubber trim components?

I've seen a BUNCH of cars here in FL with faded, black trim parts. Comes with the territory of living in FL, you have to just accept it right? No, I had to do something about it! From seeing all the cars here in FL, I knew the main areas of concern would be the black triangular part that joins the side mirrors to the front doors, the 2 vertical, black areas in the B pillar region, and the windshield plastic cowel thing that is at the bottom of the windshield/top of hood area. These are always the worst, faded parts of cars here in FL.

My plan was to just use Back2Black on these high priority areas, but I wound up using it on everything black on the exterior (except the tires)!

Before I used Back2Black, I honestly didn't think I'd be able to see much of a difference. I only wanted to protect and prevent. I've had my car only for 9-10 months, and regularly take care of all maintenance aspects. The black trim didn't look faded to me..it looked, well..black! Man, let me tell you my surprise when I applied it for the first time on one of the triangular mirror housing components. While it wasn't faded, I can only describe the transition/change as being - normal black --> deep black. FL sun is worse than I originally thought! Once I saw this change/stark contrast, was when I decided to do all black pieces on the car..even the radio antenna base and the wiper fluid squirters on the hood!

So far, Back2Black is one of my favorite new products! After washing my car and applying UQW and Back2Black, I was amazed at how my car looked like new! Hell, I don't even think my car looked this good when I first got it from sitting in the uncovered dealer lot for who knows how long.

Only question now is longevity. If it can last 1.5-2 months of protection, Back2Black will be a keeper in my book. For now, all I can say is that it REALLY DOES make things go not just 'back 2 black' but even 'black 2 blacker'!

And now of course, some pics right after I finished:

-------------------------------

Name:  IMGP0007.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  91.5 KB

Name:  IMGP0008.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  92.4 KB

Name:  IMGP0011.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  94.5 KB

Name:  IMGP0012.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  90.4 KB

Honestly, when I originally bought my car, I was planning on just regularly washing it. Never thought I'd ever be getting into all the detailing things I've gotten into!

-Charlie-

Last edited by Charlie; 02-24-2015 at 12:56 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie For This Useful Post:

Daox (02-24-2015)

Country
    UK
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    A clean, shiny car is a happy car.

Interesting little pinstripe detail as well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 3 CVT 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Nice review! Please do follow ups to keep us updated on how it lasts in the longer-term.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Phantasmagoria
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'd LOVE (love, love, love) to be able to do that to my car right now!

Not because I love detailing my car, it's because it is so COLD here I want to be in Florida!

Thanks for the great write up Charlie!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    @Daox - I'll definitely be keeping mental track on the Back 2 Black longevity and will post back what I find. I'd love to see/hear what products/experiences other people are having/using on their Mirages, hopefully this starts some posts!

@DonHoot - lol, yea I see you're in Ohio. Not to make you jealous, but I even got a mild sunburn on my lower forearm after my 3-4 hour cleaning/detailing session :-)

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As requested, quick update:

Been a whole week since the application of Back 2 Black.

While I was initially overjoyed with the fact that my black trim got even blacker, I am now utterly disappointed with the product.

During the week, we had a few days of moderate showers. Nothing like a torential downpour..the Back 2 Black is COMPLETELY gone. Additionally, the stuff runs like bad mascara (not that I'd know from personal experience lol).

I can't believe a car protection product can not stand a few showers. How could you design a product for a car and not take into account some durability against at least light, inclement weather???

FINAL VERDICT: Back 2 Black does what it says, it will make your trim black as a void..that's it. I can't recommend this product. 1 out of 5 stars. Unless you have a car that will never be outside in the elements, steer clear of this product.

-I will in the near future be looking into a product that addresses this issue apparently, called 'Ultimate Tire and Trim Guard' - quite expensive, but I will get it before the summer comes. It's durability is said to be second to none.

-Charlie-

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-03-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Thanks for the update Charlie!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Looking good, have u tried Clay bar before wax?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)