Thread: Observed Mileage (around -18 C / 0 F)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Observed Mileage (around -18 C / 0 F)

Perhaps not the right place - Just did my first highway trip and thought I'd report mileage

250km there and back, headed NE/SW with stiff gusty side winds (wind out of NW) around 20-30km/h.
    Air temps around -18C
    Car started with around 350km on odometer - not broken in yet
    Filled at the same pump before/after until it clicked off
    Winter tires - studded 155/80/r13 on steel rims - very loud - "Wintertrac" Canadian Tire brand I think
    Total passenger/cargo load around 550lbs
    Mostly around 90km/h, some idling at train crossings (trying to keep the windows from fogging) *apparently idling only costs 600ml/hour according to scangauge

Scan gauge avg = 6.1L/100km, MID average = 6.1L/100km Calculated = 6.1L 100km (250.1km for 15.3L gas)

I'm not too disappointed considering the conditions. I think/hope I'll be able to do a lot better in summer.

I just saw Metro's post with the Fuel Economy Log. I added this there, and will continue to update. I was thinking I did ok until I saw that! Now I feel very much below average. Sorry to drag down the group . . . I am the weakest link.

Last edited by Canoehead; 02-26-2015 at 12:12 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canoehead For This Useful Post:

beerbelly58 (02-26-2015),MetroMPG (02-26-2015)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    No shame there.. lots of mileage killers on that trip. Cold, stiff wind, bigger/heavier tires, car not broke in.... This is pretty normal winter mileage in my experience.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (02-26-2015)

6.1 L/100 km translation for our international membership = 39 mpg US = 16.4 km/L = 46 mpg UK

---

You pretty much described worst case conditions: very cold, HRR tires (high rolling resistance ), loaded up, car not broken in, running on winter gas. (The only thing that could have made it worse would have been short urban trips instead of a highway run.)

Expect roughly 20% better in warm weather with the LRR tires on, perhaps even better once it's broken in. In other words, 4.9 LHK (or better) on a similar run.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (02-26-2015)

And another thing!

Impressive how accurate the on-board fuel economy gauge is. I noticed that in the loaner I had from Mitsu. I think it was off by ~4% in 3 fills? Not bad at all, as far as those things go.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The cold is a killer!

Last weekend I had my worst winter highway trip ever in the Focus! 34 MPG! Usually I'm close to 40MPG round trip to my parents (in the winter) in my car (Focus). I don't even want to imagine how bad it would have been ... or how cold I would have been if I hadn't had the front blocked off! The temperature was -20F / -29C.

Going down the highway at 65, the coolant was barely able to maintain 180F. I had to have the defroster on high, otherwise the windows couldn't stay defrosted. On the way back it was a bit warmer and there was a lot of snow so I didn't go much above 45. I imagine the tank would have been much lower if I hadn't been able to go so slow on the way back.

Longer idling has killed my commuting MPG. The car refuses to idle below 2500RPM if it's cold, which makes driving it nearly impossible until the idle slows down. So I have to let it idle for 3 days before I can drive it to work.

For reference:

From the long term test last winter in Winterpeg, in -20C

• 4.8 L/100 km (49 mpg US = 20.8 km/L) on a 1-way trip @ 80 km/h / 50 mph average speed
    • 5.9 L/100 km (40 mpg US = 17.0 km/L) on a 1-way trip @ 97 km/h / 60 mph average speed

So, you're in the ballpark. (And it's problematic comparing single data points of course.)

Thread: Canada: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage long term test video review (The Road Trip)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post

I just saw Metro's post with the Fuel Economy Log. I added this there, and will continue to update. I was thinking I did ok until I saw that! Now I feel very much below average. Sorry to drag down the group . . . I am the weakest link.
    In the cold my 1.0l is just the same. When the temperature started going towards freezing point, I blocked the black part in the bumper, leaving only the upper slit. The electric radiator ventilator never came on once, but it warms up quicker and gets better mileage that way.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-26-2015)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Another winter millage observation; driving short in city outing of 10 or less kilometre, temp. lower than 10 and as low as -32, I average about 9 liters to 100 km. On the highway, in goes down to about 6 but less than 7 at sustained speed between 100 and 110 kh.hr. Thats my observation I am at about 1100km as of now and on my second full tank since delivery; I think it is pretty good for the climatic conditions encountered.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 5MT 1.2 manual: 72.8 mpg (US) ... 30.9 km/L ... 3.2 L/100 km ... 87.4 mpg (Imp)