Thread: Mitsubishi Mirage - the Oklahoma Snowmobile

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Mitsubishi Mirage - the Oklahoma Snowmobile

Ok, to be serious, an "Oklahoma Snowmobile" is a DR650...

But I can't complain about the Mirage and the inclement weather as of late. Unlike you ladies and gentlemen up north, we here in the great state of OK will get a nice solid layer of ice, an inch of packed snow half melted and re-frozen, with a couple of inches of snow on top of that. Makes for a lot of overconfident out-of-state people with 4x4 trucks and SUV's, hung up in the cable dividers or stuck in the median.

But my little car, with it's terrible tires, is almost as good as my Jeep in this stuff - the ONLY place the jeep does better is getting going from a stop, on a steep hill. The mirage stops and corners much better due to it's low weight. Even with the traction control/stability control turned off, it's a very capable machine. A bare modicum of snow-driving sense will have you slamming the car to a halt without even activating the ABS. I picked a co-worker up, who had never seen a Mirage. He flatly refused to believe it wasn't an AWD car. He said "The Lancer is AWD, so this car must be too." No use explaining that most lancers are FWD, and that a cheap 3 pot economy car for less than $13,000 is not going to be AWD.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinker1980 For This Useful Post:

beerbelly58 (02-28-2015),debburyl (02-28-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Great post!! You showed how great the mirage does in the snow. More people find out about the mirage they realize it's better then they Frist thought!
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Of course, sometimes it gets bad enough... you just have to go ahead and pick the right tool for the job.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you can't drive in that amount of snow in a mirage , you don't know how to drive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by debburyl View Post
    If you can't drive in that amount of snow in a mirage , you don't know how to drive.
    You misunderstand.

I can drive that in the mirage. But driving it in a V8 powered AWD jeep is more fun, and you can park on the snow piles the plow guys leave in the parking lot.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    O I understand now. Sorry. But even a four wheel drive if you don't know what your doing you can get yourselve stuck, or off the road. Yes you can have a lot of fun in a 4 wheel drive and not get stuck.
    hello from bluejellybean

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    We have a saying here.... "4x4's are excellent for getting you that much deeper into the ditch" Seriously though my Mirage with a set of snow tires is a good winter car in the city but I keep my old Tacoma at the ready for those humungous snowbanks the plows like to leave behind

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)