Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Detailing Guide

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    How long does a wax job usually last?

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (07-21-2016)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    For me up to 6 months, but I usually wax more frequently.

I'm not a fan of overdoing any abrasive cleaner. On a brand new car like mine, I have waxed it twice since May 9th when purchased.
    Note, the car was built in July 2014, so it was 10 months old when I bought it and it sat outside for that time. The day I got it home it got the most thorough washing on it's life, followed by a hand wax.

I use Mother's California Gold, cleaner wax. A can lasts me several years, waxing both cars. I use old faded cotton bath towels the wife discards, and wash them regularly.

A brand new car is a different animal than a used one that has not been cared for properly. Then you need to get heavy with buffers and abrasives, but the cleaning process will create swirls. In that case, Iuse a low speed electric buffer and velcro sponge body shop type pads. For really tough stuff 2000 grit and water, but only on an immaculately clean surface.

Two and 3 part process paint jobs really can not take long term direct daily sunlight and car covers are not an option either. They can't be kept clean enough to not become sand paper themselves.

I like to keep a good layer of wax on the car and rewax it before it needs it, thus the towel test. If a towel slides off the hood of the Mirage with no help from me I can wait a while before applying new wax.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-10-2015)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Never let bird crap sit on your paint or you might see a spot that cannot be removed without actually removing the clear coat until the spot disappears, hopefully. I just wet a towel and wipe it off.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How do you guys recommend getting the car ready for winter?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    How do you guys recommend getting the car ready for winter?
    That could make another Topic
    Space Star 1.2 2017 =>

Mazda MX-5 1990 =>

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    As some of you may already know, i'm about to go get my Space Star from the dealer. After reading about its paint, since it is a budget car, i'm afraid to damage it for being too thin. What do you guys recon?
    Should i do a full detail on the Mirage, (foam, risen, 2bucket, clay, polish, wax/sealant) or do you think that the procedure may cause more harm than good to the fresh thin fragile paint?

The fact that the car will be Black worries me to the bone!
    Space Star 1.2 2017 =>

Mazda MX-5 1990 =>

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think it would be good to get a coat of wax on it for sure. That'll give you some extra protection. You might as well do all the extra wash stuff up front. That won't damage the paint if its done right, and it seems like you know what you're doing.

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I think it would be good to get a coat of wax on it for sure. That'll give you some extra protection. You might as well do all the extra wash stuff up front. That won't damage the paint if its done right, and it seems like you know what you're doing.
    I'm afraid the paint would be so thin and soft that the clay may rough it up, and than i will have to polish it to the point that the clear coat can be damaged. I guess i'll use a very soft abrasive.
    Space Star 1.2 2017 =>

Mazda MX-5 1990 =>

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Another forum member did this and made a video.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)