Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mirage LPG conversion (Thailand)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

Mirage LPG conversion (Thailand)

One of our members posted the site I found this on. I suggest using google translate if you want to read any of it. But, it looks like a pretty cool setup.

http://www.lovemirage.com/221/mirage-lpg-ac-stag-isa2/

Name:  mirage_lpg_14.jpg
Views: 4054
Size:  69.9 KB

Name:  mirage_lpg_07.jpg
Views: 4223
Size:  62.3 KB

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Teasmade (03-04-2015)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    I've had many LPG cars before, they run well and exceptionally clean if the conversion and the adjustment is done right.
    LPG (propane/butane mix) costs less than petrol, about on third to one half of the petrol (gasoline) price, depending on taxation.

In the top photo you see two of the three injectors (red), and they are not directly connected to the intake manifold, but via a short hose. That is exactly the way it should not be done, because the control system becomes too slow and inaccurate.

The down side of LPG is that the gas mixture burns about 50°C hotter than petrol, and the valves and their seats have to be capable of taking the extra heat. Doesn't sound like being much hotter, but many European Fords, and a few other models have serious problems from valves and/or valve seats burning away after LPG conversion. Most French, Italian Korean and Japanese cars have no such problems at all. If you do a simple search, you could find blacklists of models that will not withstand LPG. I would not want such an anachronistically built car anyway, regardless of LPG conversion or not.
    Last edited by foama; 03-03-2015 at 07:12 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-03-2015),Teasmade (03-04-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I thought it was a bit odd that the gas orifices were so far upstream of the throttle body, but I don't know much of anything about LPG conversions. Thanks for the schooling Foama!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    The gas injectors should be all equal distance away from the intake valves. That distance should be as close as possible to the intake valves, and of course after the throttle. The output of the injectors should lead directly into the manifold, no hoses or such should be inbetween. It will work with hoses inbetween, but the richness of the mixture will not be regulated as well, amongst other problems. Sorry Daox, I didn't want to start schooling, but these are some of the often disregarded little things that become so important for the owner, because they make the difference of the car running well or totally not.
    Last edited by foama; 03-03-2015 at 07:17 PM.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but I've stumbled on this a while back and forgot about it until now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58VqrHudFWg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bpj7rtftZg

I've no idea what they are saying, but it pretty much follows the entire procedure.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 45.8 mpg (US) ... 19.5 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hank View Post
    Not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but I've stumbled on this a while back and forgot about it until now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58VqrHudFWg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bpj7rtftZg

I've no idea what they are saying, but it pretty much follows the entire procedure.
    That first link shows the injectors being mounted equidistant on the intake manifold directly. This is exactly how it should be done. The rest of the job is certainly done well, but I would not mount the filling inlet (where you fill it up) under the car. I would think most of the parts are from BRC and tomassetti, but its hard to tell.
    Foama
    Last edited by foama; 03-08-2015 at 09:43 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

laceygirl (09-04-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Is anyone here considering an LPG conversion?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I added this to the Mods & DIY list.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

miragefan17 (06-18-2020)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    I was told at a conversion-shop: "The three-cylinder European Colt are supposed to be blacklisted for LPG conversion, the cause being "valve/seat excessive wear just as with all Honda and all Toyota since 2003".

Question:
    Does somebody know for certain if the Mirage engines are on one of the gas-conversion blacklists? On which list in particular?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had a Mitsubishi Mighty Max set up for LPG... but it's a totally different story than the Mirage engine. This was an old 2.0 8 valve engine with a carburetor. It ran very well on LPG, but I didn't have to set it up the same way you'd have to on a modern engine.

The thing to consider is that you will use more propane than you will gasoline. My Mitsu truck would get about 18 mpg on propane and maybe 22 on gas. Propane conversions work better when you're dealing with older, larger engines that aren't set up to run perfectly on gasoline. A 3A92 Mirage engine is getting some 74 horsepower out of a 72 cubic inch engine, so it's going to suffer more fuel-mileage wise than an old TBI 5.7 liter chevrolet V8, which is getting 210 horsepower out of 350 cubic inches.