Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: windshield washer tank fix (won't fill completely)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    thanks MetroMPG is was not considering the fact that there are different markets with possibly different capacities

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    BTW to long tool is actually a snap-on long handled hose removal tool .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wondered why mitsubishi designed the tank that way, then I found this on a BMW forum:

"Be careful not to top up all the way in the winter if you're in an area where it gets cold. If you have good washer fluid that can handle really cold temps, then you'll be fine. Otherwise, if the fluid were to freeze in a full tank, it may create small stress fractures that will turn into a leak over time."

I think that air space may be there so the washer fluid can safely expand (freeze) without cracking the tank.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fifteenwindow For This Useful Post:

tennisguy/tech (03-11-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yea. Water only expands a small yet powerful amount when frozen. It certainly does not nearly double its volume. I hope that people whom are smart enough to but this cost effective gem of a car would be smart enough to use quality low temp washer fluid in cold climates. As for BMW owners, with the money I watch them piss away on maintainance and repairs they probably have no money left for washer fluid. Or maybe they need someone to tell them that water expands when it freezes. Hell the car warns them on the dash to be careful when it is cold out because ice is possible duh!! Just trying to get a good laugh. Thanks for the input. Have a great day all. ��

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=tennisguy/tech;24049]anynone else notice that windshield washer tank will not fill properly 2014 mirage DE ? I
    -
    Solution = poke vent hole inside fill tube just below level of top of tank using angled metal tool with tip heated
    tool will easily melt small vent hole.
    -
    Tools = small torch to heat tool + long bent metal tool { coat hanger might work }
    -
    Time = 5 minutes or less

*new member here - bought a used (9700 miles) mirage Sunday from the local dealer (Cerritos,Ca). Everything is working fine except for one thing: the windshield wiper spray doesn't seem to be working - maybe I'm not doing it right but I tried all angles - and I don't see any water squirting - the back sprayer is working only the the front windshield sprayer isn't... When I looked under the hood - there is something funny with the wiper cleaner container it

seems it's halfway down - but when I add the windshield cleaner - the liquid seems just to stay in the tube and is not going down the tube to the reservior .... Any thoughts on this one!!!!

-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You have 2 seperate problems. No front spray is a washer pump/ clogged line / bad wiring connection etc.
    the other tank not filling and tube is full is the symptom this thread was started on. My procedure will cure the filling problem , but you will need to run tests to see if there is power and ground to pump when washer function is requested. If so you have a bad pump. If not you need to dig deeper into wiring diagram. Hope this helps.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Windshield spray

Quote Originally Posted by tennisguy/tech View Post
    You have 2 seperate problems. No front spray is a washer pump/ clogged line / bad wiring connection etc.
    the other tank not filling and tube is full is the symptom this thread was started on. My procedure will cure the filling problem , but you will need to run tests to see if there is power and ground to pump when washer function is requested. If so you have a bad pump. If not you need to dig deeper into wiring diagram. Hope this helps.
    Thank you for your thoughts. I will bring car to the
    dealer tomorrow so they can check the sprayer.
    I will drill a little hole as suggested but I need a further explanation
    On that issue. The hole is to be made on top on the tube, I'm
    Not sure how it helps in filling the tank. I am sorry about being anal I
    Just want to be sure. Thank you again!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Rcam. A drill will not reach where you need hole. You must go from inside fill tube and poke hole outward just below level of top wall of tank. Please look at pics and procedure again.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Please note ::; hole does not go through outside wall of tank and will not cause a leak , It is made internally

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I will try to draw side view and post later. It will clear up your confusion. Thanks