Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CVT owners... what is "Idle Neutral Logic"? And what is it like to drive?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This all makes perfect sense. When I am coming to a stop in heavy traffic at a traffic signal, the car lurches forward after I have already came to a complete stop. That must be the gearbox shifting into neutral to save fuel. Then it does take a few seconds (especially if you mash the pedal) to "spin up" and engage the transmission into gear. Its really ingenious if you ask me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I don't care much for the Idle Neutral Logic because of all the conditions that must be present in order for it to activate so I put the transmission in neutral if I'm going to be stopped for more than 15 seconds. That way I know it's in neutral.

Idle neutral control is started when all of the following conditions are fulfilled. However, during idle neutral control, idle neutral control is stopped when any of the following conditions is not met.

Driving environment: Flat road or road with mild grade

Selector lever position: *D* position

Vehicle speed: 0 km/h (0 MPH)

Accelerator pedal position: 0.0/8

Brake pedal: Depressed

Engine speed: Idle

Turn signal lamp/hazard signal lamp: Not activated

Idle neutral control stops or is prohibited when the TCM and ECM detect that the vehicle is in one of the following conditions.

- Engine coolant temperature and CVT fluid temperature are the specified temperature or more, or the specified temperature or less.

- When a transaxle malfunction occurs.

- When the vehicle detects DTC and is in the fail-safe mode.

- When idle speed increases due to heavy electric load*.

*: When any one of rear window defogger switch, A/C switch, headlamp, fog lamp is turned ON or when the steering wheel is operated.
    Last edited by inuvik; 07-19-2017 at 04:53 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Daox (07-19-2017),MetroMPG (07-19-2017)

Thanks for that list, inuvik. There are some interesting conditions in there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    INL definitely still activates when my '17's A/C is on and running.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Thanks for that list, inuvik. There are some interesting conditions in there.
    I understand Mitsubishi's attempt to place the CVT in Neutral because in a CVT if it's not in neutral then while you are sitting there the belt is slipping against the primary drive pulley. Slipping=Wear. But if you're sitting in traffic with the A/C on the Idle Neutral Logic is never going to activate. Move the steering wheel, have your turn signal on etc... not going to happen. The "clunk or lurch" that most people feel at a stop is the CVT moving into the low range and the corresponding ratio change. Is this a potential life shortener of the CVT? I don't know but I do know that there must be something to it because the owner's manual page 5-42 it says this about placing the transmission in Neutral: "At this position, the transmission is disengaged. It is the same as the neutral position on a manual transaxle and should be used when the vehicle is not moving for an extended length of time during driving, such as in a traffic jam."

Update:

Idle Neutral Logic appears to be a JATCO programming function because the same information appears in the Nissan CVT information. Also, found an interesting link that refers to how this CVT operates.

https://www.atsg.us/atsg/blog/thejf0...thejf015ecvt7/
    Last edited by inuvik; 07-19-2017 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Updated post with additional info & link

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Daox (07-19-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yea, pretty sure mine still activates too when the AC is on. I think maybe thats a difference between the '14 and '17 model?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Okay, I just read this too late sorry. Also, that makes sense that the lurch is the gear ration switching. Questions, is putting the car in park going to do the same at putting in neutral as far as decreasing wear goes? I mean the only difference is the brakes are applied right? I'm just not that versed in CVT transmissions.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabullfrog91 View Post
    Okay, I just read this too late sorry. Also, that makes sense that the lurch is the gear ration switching. Questions, is putting the car in park going to do the same at putting in neutral as far as decreasing wear goes? I mean the only difference is the brakes are applied right? I'm just not that versed in CVT transmissions.
    The short answer is "yes". Although I wouldn't use Park when operating on the road

Mirage G4 SE
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  IMG_4217.jpg
Views: 1548
Size:  96.1 KBThe idle neutral logic in my 2017 G4 SE kicks in 85% of the time. You can clearly tell when sitting at idle if its in neutral or not and when you let off the brake you feel it shift back in gear if it was. My 2015 did not utilize the idle neutral logic near as muc as my 2017 does and my 2017 seems to most always do it. The transmissions in the 2017s seem much more sorted out and overall drivetrain smoothness is better. I loved my 2015 but the 2017 seems much more refined. When I drive my co workers 2015 and then mine you can feel the difference with the transmission. Anytime I come to a complete stop mine will go into neutral now if I let off brake then edge forward and stop it will stay in drive. Or if im driving very slow then stop it will stay in drive. But any normal driving and coming to a stop light it always kicks in on mine, very smart Mitsubishi. I really like that I can tell in my 2017 when it is using idle neutral logic by the sensation when letting of the brake you feel it shift into gear again lets me know its working.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirage ES Navi For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-30-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage ES Navi View Post
    The transmissions in the 2017s seem much more sorted out and overall drivetrain smoothness is better. I loved my 2015 but the 2017 seems much more refined.
    Definitely agree.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)