Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: CVT owners... what is "Idle Neutral Logic"? And what is it like to drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Dabullfrog91 View Post
    Yea, pretty sure mine still activates too when the AC is on. I think maybe thats a difference between the '14 and '17 model?
    I was wondering the same thing. When I'm stopped at a red light my car doesn't lurch forward when almost stopped. My issue is when I let off the brake the car feels like it's in neutral then kicks into gear after a 1/2 second. It acts almost like acts like a conventional automatic when it's low on fluid. This is with ac on(defrost) ac button lit and rear defog on.

I don't know if the cvt goes to neutral or if it's just sitting in a higher ratio and doesn't shift til I let off the brake?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    it's just sitting in a higher ratio and doesn't shift til I let off the brake?
    Mine does this when all the time, and I've never ever felt like the car goes into neutral at a stop

It's similar to how the car holds itself in a high rpm when rolling down a hill to decrease the need for you to apply brakes, sometimes it does it sometimes it doesnt

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I put my CVT in neutral while coasting to a stop partly because hypermiler habits die hard, but mostly because I cannot STAND the way the car feels like it is struggling against the CVT like it is stuck somehow. Its hard to describe. I hate it so much. GRRR I miss my 5MT car.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Mine used to feel like it was in neutral at stop lights with the old drive train almost all the time. It would often clunk really bad if coming almost to a stop then taking off again unless you were really light on the throttle. After I replaced the drivetrain it always felt like it was in gear while stopped and didn't jerk when rolling through a yield sign then taking off. Over time I started noticing it would take a second til it started moving when I let off the brake. Now it seems to do it all the time. It's not worth crying about but here i am.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    but mostly because I cannot STAND the way the car feels like it is struggling against the CVT like it is stuck somehow. Its hard to describe. I hate it so much. GRRR I miss my 5MT car.
    I do this frequently when I drive one of my automagic cars. Especially when pointing downhill (stopped). The brake pedal has to be pushed more than twice as hard to stop it from rolling / lurching forward. Versus in a MT, either with the clutch or slipped up in Neutral. The car just sits patiently, no struggling. So I bump an automatic into neutral and it "feels" so much better.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Basic (01-13-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I do this frequently when I drive one of my automagic cars. Especially when pointing downhill (stopped). The brake pedal has to be pushed more than twice as hard to stop it from rolling / lurching forward. Versus in a MT, either with the clutch or slipped up in Neutral. The car just sits patiently, no struggling. So I bump an automatic into neutral and it "feels" so much better.
    Same here, if I have to wait more than 5-10 seconds stopped into neutral it goes. My son drives the Mirage mainly now but he has continued the practice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Mine used to feel like it was in neutral at stop lights with the old drive train almost all the time. It would often clunk really bad if coming almost to a stop then taking off again unless you were really light on the throttle. After I replaced the drivetrain it always felt like it was in gear while stopped and didn't jerk when rolling through a yield sign then taking off. Over time I started noticing it would take a second til it started moving when I let off the brake. Now it seems to do it all the time. It's not worth crying about but here i am.
    Mine used to do a lot of clunking like this, it seems to have stopped doing it since I changed the ATF or I've stopped noticing it or I've done something to the car that has permanently disabled idle neutral, not sure to be honest.