Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Developing a MAF sensor housing for custom air intakes

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I've been doing some reading up on air filters, and at this point I prefer AEM Dryflow filters. They've been tested to have excellent filtering, they are easily washable and reusable. They also don't need to be oiled, so you don't have to worry about gunking up your MAF sensor.

K&N has gotten bad press in the past few years saying they have poorer filtering than the OEM filters, and over oiling them can cause MAF sensor issues.
    I had not heard of the AEM filters - but if I ever find an instance where I want a K&N for something, I know what I will get instead. To be able to just wash the filter, dry it, and put it on would be great.

Concerning the Mirage and candidates for it's air filter, instead of trying to find a car filter that would fit, you might try to find a motorcycle filter that would fit. Motorcycles in the 1200cc range are rarely 3 cylinders, but there are a bunch that have just one intake/carb. And a filter that will feed a 1200cc motorcycle will feed a 1200cc car, no trouble.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I am currently working with one of our members to test the MAF housing as well as develop a full intake kit.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

91cavgt (03-18-2015),RedRage (04-28-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I am currently working with one of our members to test the MAF housing as well as develop a full intake kit.
    Siiiick. Let us know how it goes. My aluminum unit is proving a pain in the Butkis to produce.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll definitely keep everyone updated. Right now we're getting measurements of the engine bay to see what kind of room we have to work with.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Awesome!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage es 1.2 manual: 43.7 mpg (US) ... 18.6 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This will come in handy when I start to piece together my turbo system from scratch.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Would you consider selling just the MAF adaptor? I would like to make my own intake that would more than likely be a lot different than what most people would want.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    would you consider selling just the maf adaptor? I would like to make my own intake that would more than likely be a lot different than what most people would want.
    2nd.........

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    Would you consider selling just the MAF adaptor? I would like to make my own intake that would more than likely be a lot different than what most people would want.
    Yep, that'll definitely be an option. However, in order to test the MAF sensor housing, it needs to be tested on an actual intake. So, thats what I'm doing.

As an update. Some parts have been ordered, and the measurements and stuff are coming along quite well so far.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

91cavgt (03-23-2015),davidricardo86 (03-26-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    interested in air intake solution.

Honestly, I want to splice those cables and relocate the maf, but that's just me.