Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In defense of CVTs

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    this is the first three banger i've ever owned but i've always heard that they love to rev!

metro mentioned that mitsu should add a longer 5th gear or even a 6th gear in the future to make the standard an epic MPG legend car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would love to see a 6th gear just to drop those rpms down under 2500 at highway speeds
    I love everything about Mitsubishi!!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    For my Civic and I believe for the Mirage also the transmission fluid is actually easier to change than the engine oil. I prefer transmissions without a filter and a low fluid capacity, it makes changing the fluid a 20-30$ job that takes 30 minutes vs a much more expensive and messy ordeal.

I agree with having the fluid analysis done, I'm always over kill. I've replaced a lot of transmissions that were toasted from old/burnt up fluid. I noticed my civics transmission fluid would lose its factory fresh smell after 30K miles which was the recommended service interval. I just didn't have the money for a transmission started pampering it past 170k. The service only took 2.1 qts @$8 per qt so it was super cheap, I know the cvt fluid is super expensive though I just get paranoid because most of the transmission shops were quoting me very high prices for cvt rebuilds in hx civics (I thought about adding a cvt to my 99 civic). I also was told about the civic hybrid cvt that costs like 2500 to rebuild or something crazy!
    CVT's generally never get rebuilt they just get replaced