View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 101 of 110 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1099

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Premeir620 View Post
    My 2015 Mirage was just aligned by dealer, my wheel now points to 2 o clock right of center. What should I do? New tires just installed at 34K
    Go back to the dealer and have them realign it.

(blank signature)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-02-2018),poorman1 (01-02-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    My 2015 Mirage was just aligned by dealer, my wheel now points to 2 o clock right of center. What should I do? New tires just installed at 34K
    Hello Premeir620 and welcome to the forum.

Having to hold your steering wheel 2° right of center could indicate a problem with rear axle alignment. Return to the shop who performed the alignment service and discuss the problem with them. Be sure to get the results of your alignment from them. If you aren't certain they are being honest with you, go to a third-party shop for an alignment check. In your part of the country, you should be able to find an NTB who can do an alignment check for free.

What did your old tires look like?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thank you, just purchased car certified pre-owned. 3 pages of extensive warranty work on car. 2 new front wheel hubs, yes both wheel hubs, 4 new tires, indicating excessive tire wear, wheel alignment and several recalls done. It doesn't pull or squeal at all, just steering is far right a couple degrees driving straight on all roads

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.5 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    ...It doesn't pull
    ...just steering is far right a couple degrees driving straight on all roads
    OK...as long as you have documented that your front AND REAR alignment is within specifications, then the problem may just be that the shop didn't center your steering wheel BEFORE they did your front end alignment. If they don't do this, then you end up with a car that tracks perfectly straight...but the steering wheel is slightly off to one side. My Mirage is like this right now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    What do the alignment numbers look like? Sounds like you should have gotten an alignment printout.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    You gotta escalate this to Mitsubishi Corporate. They've been helpful with taking care of owners when dealers balk.
    Thanks, but I called Mitsubishi and they told me the same bs the dealer did.
    2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Alignment resolved

Independant alignment shop found steering thrust angle out of spec.
    He said the driver side tie rod was several degrees out, causing wheel to point right. Tbe printout shows basically all green zeros now. Car rides great wheel on center

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.5 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Premeir620 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-09-2018),Top_Fuel (01-09-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Woohoo, congrats Premeir620.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I don't know the answer to that. It's probably a function of the software they are using.

It probably doesn't take much force to nudge the rear end of a Mirage when the wheels are sitting on packed snow. My guess is you would have to hit a Mirage pretty hard (and almost directly on a wheel) to mess up your rear alignment numbers significantly. Refer to this post where 3dplane explains what he had to go through to barely change the rear end alignment on his car. Hint: He had to use a torch along with his 230 lbs of body weight hanging on the end of a 6-foot long pipe attached to one side of the rear axle...multiple times.

How many miles are on your car?
    How is your tire wear?
    Do you rotate your tires regularly and have you noticed any odd wear patterns on your rear tires?

My left rear wheel is at 0.23 degrees of toe...which is outside of the specs on your alignment sheet. That's not ideal for me, but I rotate my tires regularly and have noticed no unusual tire wear on that side.
    I have 30,000 km and don't rotate my tires but run summers/winters. No weird wear.
    Good news is the repair shop meas'd the alignment and declared the axle as bent so the insurance covered the replacement.
    I don't know what was up with the shop that tweaked the alignment initially....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I think my rear axle may have been out of alignment since day one.

I didn't test drive the car I bought because it was a special order, (colour) and in the city all was good but on the highway the steering felt super-twitchy and I just put it down to the electric assist being numb and over boosted, my buddy had the same reaction.

So I just learned to live with it. But now after a week I have decided that the car with it's new axle is now tracking properly for the first time ever!
    No more "hanging on for the ride" it just needs the "normal" amount of correction. I've driven everything from an Argo to an 18 wheeler and this is the first time I've been fooled.

Last edited by strawboss; 01-31-2018 at 06:36 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strawboss For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-31-2018),Eggman (01-31-2018),MetroMPG (01-31-2018)