View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 105 of 110 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1099

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Also, speaking on the new used car with tires..I know there is a known issue here, but I always replaced 2 tires when I worked in a shop in used cars

2018 mirage ES manual

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
    ...I always replaced 2 tires when I worked in a shop in used cars
    There's nothing wrong with replacing tires in pairs. The question is...at what mileage were the tires replaced...and more importantly...why did they need to be replaced...especially if the mileage was really low?

When CarMax gets a car from a trade-in or an auction, they will replace any tires below a minimum tread depth. They always seem to have a significant percentage of low-mileage Mirages (under 20K miles) where they have had to install a new pair of tires on the car. The OEM Mirage tires aren't the best...but they aren't that bad, either. Tires shouldn't wear out on a properly-aligned Mirage in 10K-20K miles.

I don't have any concrete proof...but I have a pretty good guess why there are a significant number of these cars that pass through CarMax with low mileage...yet already need tires. We've had members here with rear axles that were so out of whack on the toe setting, that their rear tires were completely toast in 10K miles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I bought my 18’ G4 a couple of weeks ago. I’ve noticed on the highway going 60-65 mph and faster that the car wanders a bit and is hard to keep steady. Always having to make steering corrections. It only has about 800 miles on the odometer. Dropped it off at the Mitsubishi dealership Friday for an alignment check and possible alignment. Called today and they are calling Mitsubishi tech line because the rear is out of alignment and said it might need a rear sub frame? From what I’ve been reading here the issue is still going on. I haven’t read all 105 pages but what is the fix if anything at all? This is totally ridiculous having the same repeated issues they never addressed.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FloridaG4 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-02-2018)

Not a rear subframe problem, it's a rear axle out of spec.

FYI:

This thread now contains hundreds of posts. For a summary and list of Frequently Asked Questions about this issue see this thread:

>>> Rear Alignment Problem FAQ <<<

Evidently, Mitsubishi decided it would be cheaper to address rare individual customer complaints with warranty work than to actually fix the root problem.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

PS: keep us posted what happens!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This reminds me of the 2011 Nissan Versa hatch i had that started getting piston slap at about 33k miles. Piston #3 was the issue. Some people would get a new short block to fix it. Not sure if the piston slap would come back or not. I traded the car shortly after that. It was only on the hatches that had the 1.8 liter engine. The 1.6 sedans didn’t have the issue. I just wanted Nissan to admit to the problem. I guess a recall of the 1.8’s would of been very costly. Kinda soured me with Nissan after that. The dealership owns a Nissan dealer as well and gave me a Sentra for a loaner. Not really impressed with it. Feels much heavier than my G4. Really wanting my G4 back. I hope they get it fixed correctly soon.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaG4 View Post
    ...the car wanders a bit and is hard to keep steady
    ...Always having to make steering corrections
    ...It only has about 800 miles
    ...they are calling Mitsubishi tech line because the rear is out of alignment
    Well...the good news is that you found the problem early and it sounds like your dealer is on top of it. A new rear axle assembly should take care of the problem.

Be sure to have the dealer verify that your FRONT end alignment is also satisfactory. Based on all the alignment data posted here, it's rare to see a new Mirage where the front end doesn't need at least some adjustment to be within specification.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How long does it take for Mitsubishi to approve an axle replacement once a tech calls the Mitsubishi tech line? The service dept said the tech called them on Monday and it’s Friday and we’re still waiting.

Mitsubishi knows that this problem exists. I have about 800 miles on the odometer and I shouldn’t have to wait a week already for them to approve a known issue on a new car i bought 3 weeks ago. They should of approved the replacement the day the tech called. This issue is still going on 4 or 5 years now. What i don't understand is why doesn't Mitsubishi correct the welding jig or the way it's welded so it doesn't happen again? There is a serious quality control issue going on here.

Had I known of the potential that this could of happened before i bought it i would of had them check it and possibly bought a different car if this rear axle was welded incorrectly.

The service writer said they haven’t had this issue before.
    Last edited by FloridaG4; 07-06-2018 at 04:27 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaG4 View Post
    How long does it take for Mitsubishi to approve an axle replacement once a tech calls the Mitsubishi tech line?
    It shouldn't take a week. But there was a holiday Wednesday...so you're process is probably getting delayed. That's not an excuse...just a reality of corporate America. I wouldn't wait much longer than Monday before calling the Mitsubishi corporate office to "help" the process along.

Had I known of the potential that this could of happened I would of had them check it before I bought it.
    I have told people before that this is not a bad idea. And I would personally NEVER purchase a used Mirage (out of warranty) unless the seller had a verified 4 wheel alignment printout for the car.

The service writer said they haven’t had this issue before.
    That's not unusual. Most Mirage owners are not aware of the potential problem...and I'm sure that the number of replacement axles that have been installed nationwide is relatively low. I bet the overwhelming majority of Mirages that left the factory with deficient rear axles probably still have them at this point.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-06-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Called the dealership today. Mitsubishi tech line called and wants the tech to align the front because that was out of alignment as well and see if it brings the rear into alignment. He said after the alignment to send Mitsubishi the after alignment results.

I’m almost positive it will not bring the rear into alignment just by the results I’ve read in this thread. Then I’ll probably have to wait for Mitsubishi to approve an axle replacement.

Last edited by FloridaG4; 07-09-2018 at 06:38 PM.