View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 108 of 110 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110 LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1099

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    *******New update*******

Service advisor called today. Yesterday the tech followed the Tech Line's instructions which was to loosened the axle bolts on the newly installed replacement axle, took the car for a ride to let everything settle then re-tightening the axle bolts. Put the car back on the alignment rack which did not fix the alignment problem. Once again waiting on the Tech Line to see what the next step is.

Hopefully the Tech Line gets back to the tech soon. The only answer i see to fixing this is another axle replacement. I'm hoping that is the Tech Line's next answer to fix this issue.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FloridaG4 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-02-2018),MetroMPG (08-02-2018),Top_Fuel (08-02-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaG4 View Post
    The only answer i see to fixing this is another axle replacement.
    I agree.

This situation has only happened a few times...but I don't think anyone followed up and updated the forum like you are doing. So thanks for keeping us in the loop.

If they install a second rear axle on your car, you may be the first person I'm aware of where that actually happened. If I remember correctly, I think one dealer offered someone free tire rotations (or something crazy like that) instead of another replacement axle. So be ready for an "unusual" proposal like that.

They would probably never agree to do this...but a possible solution would be this:

1. The dealer grabs a new Mirage on their lot (with a good rear alignment)
    2. The rear axle from that new Mirage is removed and installed in your car
    3. Your corrected rear alignment is verified and you drive away happy

If a known, good rear axle won't fix your alignment, there's another problem going on. Keep driving that loaner!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Questions: Are all Mirages alignment specifications the same? Is the first year Mirages 2013/2014 the same as the 2018? More specifically are the 2015's different than the 2018's? Any difference with a hatchback vs a G4? One last question LOL what are the specs for a 2018 G4?

Thanks for any responses
    Last edited by FloridaG4; 08-07-2018 at 10:40 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Are all Mirages alignment specifications the same?
    That's a good question. I don't know why they wouldn't be...but I have only seen a 2014-2015 service manual. Here's the page from the 2015 service manual showing the rear alignment specs...

Name:  specs.JPG
Views: 788
Size:  61.9 KB

I have always believed that these rear axles are all the same regardless or year (2014-2018) or model (Mirage or G4). But when I looked up the parts on oemmitsubishiparts.com, they have different part numbers

4120A150.....2014-2017 Mirage
    4120A273.....2017 Mirage G4

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yea it’s August 2018 and even the dealership didn’t have any 18’ alignment specs just 17’ but it doesn’t specify hatch or sedan so I’m assuming they are the same.

Got the car back and the district rep was there. She said my car was all set. I asked for the alignment print out but gave me one which said 17’ Mirage and showed alignment numbers that are off. I Had time yesterday and had the car checked at Tire Kingdom. They only have specs for a 15’ Mirage. Going by a 15’ Mirage my fronts are good. Back left is within specs but back right is -5* so it’s -2* beyond maximum. Alignment tech said it’s not too bad but still not within parameters. He said just rotate tires every oil change which I will do and I change oil and filter every 5000 miles.

I doubt Mitsubishi will do anything further to make the alignment within specs which would probably require another replacement axle which I’m sure they aren’t going to approve.

If down the road I’m eating thru tires at a rapid pace I’ll probaby buy an axle from a salvaged 17’-18’ Mirage and put it on myself and see if it will be better. It’s a crap shoot I know.

What sucks is i wanted to put a little stiffer springs since the stock springs are a little too soft and floaty feeling and that would probably make the rear alignment worse.
    Last edited by FloridaG4; 08-08-2018 at 08:10 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Got the car back and the district rep was there. She said my car was all set. I asked for the alignment print out but gave me one which said 17’ Mirage and showed alignment numbers that are off. I Had time yesterday and had the car checked at Tire Kingdom. They only have specs for a 15’ Mirage. Going by a 15’ Mirage my fronts are good. Back left is within specs but back right is -5* so it’s -2* beyond maximum. Alignment tech said it’s not too bad but still not within parameters. He said just rotate tires every oil change which I will do and I change oil and filter every 5000 miles.

I doubt Mitsubishi will do anything further to make the alignment within specs which would probably require another replacement axle which I’m sure they aren’t going to approve.
    I'm sure you are tired of having to deal with this, but I think this situation should be taken to Mitsubishi Motors North America's corporate office.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ...had the car checked at Tire Kingdom.
    ...Back left is within specs
    ...back right is -5* so it’s -2* beyond maximum.
    If you have the alignment printout from Tire Kingdom, can you post it here so we can see it?

99% of the time, the problem is excessive positive toe on one (or both) rear wheels. For example, here's an image of an actual alignment machine at a Mitsubishi dealership showing a Mirage where a rear wheel has excessive positive toe (see the yellow box)...

Name:  rear_alignment.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  67.5 KB

If your right rear wheel has 5 degrees of negative toe, that's really unusual and is seriously out of spec. That's why it might help us to see your printout.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 08-09-2018 at 11:29 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got a 4 wheel alignment check. The tech wasn't in when I picked up the car so I couldn't get an explanation. Can someone interpret the results attached? It looks like all specs are within tolerance. Thanks for any guidance.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanSproutExpress View Post
    I got a 4 wheel alignment check. The tech wasn't in when I picked up the car so I couldn't get an explanation. Can someone interpret the results attached? It looks like all specs are within tolerance. Thanks for any guidance.
    BeanSproutExpress, that image makes me think the right rear tire is almost out of the specified criteria for toe-in. What do you think? By the way, how many miles are on your Mirage?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I apologize for not being more detailed with my question in the first post. Eggman, I agree that the software says the rear passenger toe is at the max toe within spec. However, I'm not trusting the specs that the software is referencing. I would like to cross-check the results with the specs posted by TopFuel in this post, assuming those numbers are correct. Unfortunately none of the numbers in the screenshot are labeled and I don't know enough to be confident which number refers to what.

[EDIT]Note this interpretation is not correct. See this post
    Are you able to tell me which numbers refer to toe, camber, and total toe? My guess is the following:
    • The numbers in degrees above each tire are the camber?
      - This would mean both of the camber values seem like they are pushing the spec limits of -1.8° to -0.3°. It seems like these would flag orange "warning" colors, but would be considered within spec.
    • The inside black numbers in seconds next to each tire are the toe of each tire?
      - This would mean the driver side is 1/32" = 0.03°, and the passenger side is 1/8" = 0.125°, which are both well within 0.28° to -0.03° posted by Top Fuel. It doesn't seem like 1/8" would flag the orange "warning" color
    • The green value in the middle in seconds is the total toe?
      - This puts the rear total toe at 5/32" = 0.156" = 0.156° which is well within spec of Top Fuel's numbers of -0.05 to 0.55 (I'm not sure if Top Fuel's numbers are seconds or degrees (the units aren't labeled), but this would be within spec regardless)
    • As a side note, the lower black value of -0.1° is the thrust?
      - This appears to be caused by the positive camber (?) of the front driver side. Why wouldn't this be flagged? Can't this be adjusted?

Overall, my point is I don't fully understand these results. If my above assumptions and conclusions are correct, than the rear wheels seem to be within spec but I get a different conclusion regarding "green" and "orange". Is someone able to confirm what numbers refer to what spec, confirm Top Fuel's reported tolerance specs, and also confirm the units of Top Fuel's numbers?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by BeanSproutExpress; 09-26-2018 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Noting number conversions are incorrect.