View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 51 of 110 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Welcome, concussin!

The self-centering issue with the steering is not related to the rear axle alignment problem that some cars have. It was fairly widely reported in reviews of the car -- see:

Thread: Do you find the "self-centering" of your Mirage's steering to be odd?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've got a couple friends in Perth!

But to address your complaints, adding a front air dam really helps stability at speed. Side skirts help even further to keep the pressure low under the car.

The lack of self-centering comes from resistance in the electric steering assist. One member found loosening up the gears where the motor meets the steering brought back the centering. It was suggested to me before it was from a lack of caster, but an alignment check throws that theory out the window.

Also, wider tires will really help it not be pulled around by the grooves in the road and give it a much more stable feel.

Correcting the excessive rear toe will make the car feel much more limber and free-rolling, since you're reducing unnecessary resistance. It will also respond better to initial turn-in.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I don't know I'd have dealer check alignment under warranty. Modest toe-out will create wondering feel, and too much toe-in will give you dead no centering.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Thanks
    I finally tweaked the left side with my 6 foot piece of aluminum pipe. Looks to have given me the same results as the right side which cut the negative camber in half, now with 0 toe and maybe .5-.7 degrees of negative camber.

This car did not handle anything like the way it does now. Left side camber jacking is now gone.

The pipe gives me a leverage ratio of 12 to 1,which with my 200 pounds allows me to put a ton of negative pressure on the stub axle. You can watch it move with a floor jack under the lower spring perch.

Now with the two rear wheels twice as close to vertical and both tires pointing perfectly parallel to each other (0 toe), this car handles so much better and I have 100k miles of tires in inventory ( new spare set).

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

3dplane (11-15-2015),Basic (11-15-2015),inuvik (11-15-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One of these days you need to host a Get To Gether and we can all meet each other, and have a big alignment party
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-15-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How much for this old mechanic
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Thanks
    Hehe, I'm not sure I would want to tackle this for someone else. My total toe was .40, not nearly as bad as some I have read about here. My camber tweaks have never been checked with any precision equipment and at $35+ per check it may never get checked again, especially since the tire wear is basically perfect.

I'm still waiting to hear from Mitsubishi on my rear axle and have been waiting since my only trip to the selling dealership. Since they offer no options except to replace the axle, I figure there is nothing to loose, but that is a very low threshold compared to doing it for someone else who might not be so understanding if there is any problem with the process.

Personally if I had access to an alignment machine without being a retail customer, I would set it up on the machine and use a come along to pull the rear spring perches together until I had the toe I wanted, trying VERY hard to no go even the slightest bit too far as things that you twist like this will definitely not respond well to going too far then trying to come back.

It's surprising that Mitsubishi has not done anything concrete about this problem. I still have my two rods and turnbuckle holding the rear toe at 0, I would like to get rid of that some day. I could use a come along and just tape measure the rear toe, which is what I have done so far (the measurement part).

I would not object to a get together that allowed me to show others what I have done. The pipe on the rear axles (for camber) is actually about a 10 minute job per axle. Then the toe "adjustment" is done last.

I still think I can get the axle in the middle of the allowable specs, but when it comes to the toe 0 is close to the limit of -.03. The question remains, will any adjustment be permanent. If tire wear is the yardstick by which that is measured then mine is perfect.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    One of these days you need to host a Get To Gether and we can all meet each other, and have a big alignment party

lol

Instead of meeting up and having a dyno day like a lot of car groups, we would meet up at an alignment shop and compare who's alignment is out the most!!
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    FRONT
    He adjusted the left front toe. After that .
    LF Caster 3.9"
    RF Caster 4.2"
    both middle of the specs
    LF Camber 0.2 degrees
    RF Camber -0.3
    both middle fo specs
    Lf Toe -0.25 final -0.05 (after adjustment)
    RF Toe -0.10 final _0.10
    again mid specs

REAR
    LR toe 0.10
    RR toe 0.30 (spec =0.15 to -0.15)
    right side twice the acceptable toe
    LR Camber -1.2
    RRCamber -2.1

These are printed out specs on a 2014 date machine and they match my crude measurements.

So the right rear wheel is leaning in too much at the top and pointed in too much at front. A piece of true 2 inch aluminum pipe layed horizontally across each rear tire. Left side the pipe ran almost paralled to the rocker panel plastic moulding at its outermost point, slightly closer in front. Right side the pipe hits the rocker right below the rear of the front door.

That jibes with the toe measurements recorded in the professional alignment shop.

regards
    mech
    The right rear camber was -2.1 before my "tweak" and after the second alignment check it was -.7. They actually failed the axle for out of spec cross camber at the dealership and the difference in the two measurements is how much I accomplished with my "tweak" (from -2.1 to -.7).

regards
    mech

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    I finally tweaked the left side with my 6 foot piece of aluminum pipe. Looks to have given me the same results as the right side which cut the negative camber in half, now with 0 toe and maybe .5-.7 degrees of negative camber.

This car did not handle anything like the way it does now. Left side camber jacking is now gone.

The pipe gives me a leverage ratio of 12 to 1,which with my 200 pounds allows me to put a ton of negative pressure on the stub axle. You can watch it move with a floor jack under the lower spring perch.

Now with the two rear wheels twice as close to vertical and both tires pointing perfectly parallel to each other (0 toe), this car handles so much better and I have 100k miles of tires in inventory ( new spare set).

regards
    mech
    I have heard th stories from old timers about using hot lead back in the day when bondo filler hasn't been invented yet or bending parts to do alignment, but this is olde days when tie rods were not adjustable. Nice to see someone hasn't forgotten about it!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)