View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 61 of 110 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    "Adjusting the machine" means changing the specs to make them show green, when they're actually out. Go back and raise hell.

I got into it with a rep from Corporate who was telling me my excessive cross-camber was within specs. Being a service tech, I'm well aware that anything over half a degree is out by industry standards. I've been forced to fix it myself because of their refusal to actually fix their stuff. If I didn't like the rest of the car so much, I would have gladly filed a Lemon Law claim against them, as I fulfilled the legal requirements for one.

Whenever I come across a Mirage on Mitsubishi's Twitter, I reply and remind them about them knowingly selling defective axles.

Last edited by Cani Lupine; 12-14-2015 at 10:58 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    "Adjusting the machine" means changing the specs to make them show green, when they're actually out.
    That's exactly what it means. If you can't change the ****ty axles, change the SPECS. Honda did the same thing when they ran into this problems on some Fits.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    those are my feelings too. I like the rest of the car so much... just for this one (huge) thing.

i'm just glad this thread did not exist when I was researching the car, otherwise I might still be driving my leaky yaris.
    2014 White SE with CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have to go back to them this week. Let's see what new trick the dealer comes up with.

I also fulfill requisites for the Lemon Law already, since they have tried to fix the thing 4 times already. Here in New York you have to use the manufacturer's arbitration process before claiming on the Lemon Law.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I wish canada had a lemon law but sadly we dont. The mirage is an awesome car.

I may try my heat and bend method. But i need a "friend" to run alignments for me after tweaking it a bit.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My local dealership called me today to inform me that they are closing the repair order for my car, even though it is not repaired yet. I guess it is just end of the year clean up on their computer systems. However, the warranty repair order with Mitsubishi is still open. They still have no idea as to when a permanent fix for this will be.

So I asked them to look up in their system to see what the alignment specs are for the new axle that was installed. My suspicions that the new axle is worse than the old one were confirmed today. The new axle is off on the right camber, just like the old one. But where the old axle was just 0.1 degree out of spec, the new one is either 0.3 degrees worse than the old one or 0.3 degrees out of spec. The service guy started talking about toe being out, then he stopped and didn't say anything else about it so I don't know if the toe is out too or if he was mistaken.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Download the service manual off this site. It gives you the required specs by mitsubishi

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    My local dealership called me today to inform me that they are closing the repair order for my car, even though it is not repaired yet. I guess it is just end of the year clean up on their computer systems. However, the warranty repair order with Mitsubishi is still open. They still have no idea as to when a permanent fix for this will be.

So I asked them to look up in their system to see what the alignment specs are for the new axle that was installed. My suspicions that the new axle is worse than the old one were confirmed today. The new axle is off on the right camber, just like the old one. But where the old axle was just 0.1 degree out of spec, the new one is either 0.3 degrees worse than the old one or 0.3 degrees out of spec. The service guy started talking about toe being out, then he stopped and didn't say anything else about it so I don't know if the toe is out too or if he was mistaken.
    Camber<3 isn't gonna cause tire wear, toe in will. You need to get the print out to at least know what it is.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yesterday I went to the dealer to check the alignment because I still feel it off (steering off center) and after a while the guy comes back saying that everything is fine and asking to sign the papers. I asked to see the readings and an hour late he comes back with these readings. Look at the circled rear toe and see how stupid they think their customers are. I'm not done with them yet.

Name:  Wheel Alignment 1.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  86.9 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    Yesterday I went to the dealer to check the alignment because I still feel it off (steering off center) and after a while the guy comes back saying that everything is fine and asking to sign the papers. I asked to see the readings and an hour late he comes back with these readings. Look at the circled rear toe and see how stupid they think their customers are. I'm not done with them yet.

Name:  Wheel Alignment 1.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  86.9 KB
    I'm a bit confused, but I think your 0.0 toe might make sense, if the "perfect" spec as designed is not zero. The difference between the extremes does not average to zero. I'm not sure why it wouldn't have zero as the ideal, but then again, I know a lot more about canoes, where this isn't an issue!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)