View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 64 of 110 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I measure toe front to rear of the contact portion of the tire. If you suspect that is not a true reading, mark the tire with tape and roll the car until you are measuring the exact same spot on the tire, once in front and once in rear.

For best economy, I prefer 0 toe on both front and rear.

regards
    mech

edit:

alignment basics
    http://www.anewtoronto.com/wheel%20alignment.html

Last edited by deleted user; 12-21-2015 at 11:36 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    Camber<3 isn't gonna cause tire wear, toe in will. You need to get the print out to at least know what it is.
    Here is my left rear tire a couple of months ago;

Here is my left rear tire today;

Here is my right rear tire a couple of months ago;

And my right rear tire today;

This increase in wear has happened in a span of approximately 5,000 miles and 2 1/2 months. As Cyclopathic has pointed out, camber turns into toe when the car is under a load, and since this is the holiday season, several highway trips have been done with my Mirage while the car was loaded down.
    Last edited by 91cavgt; 12-22-2015 at 09:57 PM.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Thanks
    3rd photo down looks like a nail in that tire. How many miles on those rear tires. My rears are wearing right at half as much as the fronts.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    3rd photo down looks like a nail in that tire. How many miles on those rear tires. My rears are wearing right at half as much as the fronts.

regards
    mech

It's just a small rock that has been worn down and now looks like a nail. I found a couple more that I was able to pull off. These tires have about 23,000 miles on them.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Software Engineer
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Got my axle replaced just today.

Will see what the alignment is. Dealership said they were mailing me the warranty repair papers, including some other sheets with an alignment as I picked it up 15 minutes after they closed. Kind enough of them to stay open for me to pick her up though, but I've never had a dealership mail me repair records before... We'll see what that means.

Going to schedule an alignment check with 3rd party anyways, as usual.

Hope it's better than last axle! Or at least, not worse.

On the bright side, looks like my steering wheel is more centered than last time. This time it's just slightly to the right (not perfectly centered) but the deflection is half as bad as the old deflection to the left. Not sure what that entails, but will see soon enough!

Happy Holidays everyone!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 51.7 mpg (US) ... 22.0 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 62.0 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRagland For This Useful Post:

91cavgt (12-22-2015),Daox (12-23-2015)

Thanks
    Excess camber will wear the tire out on the inside. Excess toe will wear the tire out on the outside. In the right combination of both there COULD be excess wear across the tire. I'm at 12.5k miles now and the rear tires are still above 7/32, barely a measurable amount.

Now that I have a camber gauge, I can fix it myself, as I stated in my first couple of posts on this thread. I have heard nothing from Mitsubishi since the 28th of August when the selling dealership found the alignment was out of specs. With the capability of measuring alignment myself, I no longer have to "bend and pay" an alignment shop to check my work.

On the Fiesta forum there was a member posting who was a customer rep for Ford and she helped people resolve issues with their Fiestas. I always admired the willingness of Ford to actually have a person communicating with customers and actually DOING something for people with problems and the 6speed dual clutch transmissions were problematic when they first came to the US.

It would be nice to read a single post from someone at Mitsu corporate giving us a heads up on their plans to address this issue, instead of leaving us to speculate on what might happen. Personally I'm beginning to think class action. Implied warranty of merchantibility is hard to ignore and I guarantee you this issue has cost them customers. Act like you give a damn Mitsubishi.

After playing with it I can wait until I get something concrete from corporate, my turnbuckle rig will stay in place. If nothing will be done, then I will heat the welded end of the stub axle and bend it myself until I get the toe and camber close to minimum specs, versus close to maximum for toe and over maximum for camber.

Other than that I can easily say my Mirage is one of my favorites of over 200 cars I have owned, including over 150 salvage rebuilds since a 1966 Chevy Van in 1973.

regards
    mech

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I agree with Mech on this. Ive been left out to dry by mitsu canada on this issue. So ive taken steps to not rely on mitsu for warrenty work. Sucks but i love the mirage for the car it is!!

When you decide to heat and bend let me know!! Ill be doing something similar but when it gets warm here. Its -20C here right now. Im not doing precise measurements in the freezing cold.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    well said mech. it's still one of my favorite cars out of the approximately 40 cars which I have owned, but someone has to hold mitsu's feet to the fire. they gave me a couple free tires when I hit about 25,000 kms, but they are not willing to give me any more.
    2014 White SE with CVT

Thanks
    Show me the assembly process and I'll show you how to fix the problem, just give me the first "fixed" axle.

regards
    mech

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    Show me the assembly process and I'll show you how to fix the problem, just give me the first "fixed" axle.

regards
    mech
    what if they just dropped it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)