Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs
Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off
Waiting for warranty replacement axle
Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix
Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer
Maybe I missed it, but has anyone determined if the 2017's are using a different axle? If so, is it adjustable?
Someone took a picture of one as soon as they started hitting the dealer lots. 2017 uses the same welded crap.
I don't know if they made any adjustments to the manufacturing jigs or not but my guess is that it is the same axle.
I have not had a chance to put a 17 on the alignment machine yet but I'm curious.
While on the subject here is 2015 from today:
Mirage # twenty something that I personally see on the alignment machine.
Still have not seen a good one yet.
2014 White SE with CVT
This is CLEARLY a design flaw. Mitsubishi needs to own up and issue a recall or something. I'm seriously disappointed to hear that the 2017s have the same flaw. Unacceptable. Was fully expecting a redesigned rear suspension on the 2017s.
Let's hope they did...
Just trying to share some positive development.
Long story short.
Here is how my mirage came from the factory.
My mirage is the second worst rear alignment I've seen.(including all the posts in this forum)
Discovered it too late at 18K Mitsubishi was no help.
Built 3 different kinds of device to hold the rear end in position but got tired of them creaking,popping,looking ugly and
braking every month or two. (the tension required to hold mine snaps 3/8" round stock and 1/4" X 1/2" flat mild steel after some
flexing of the rear axle.)
Now at 53K miles on the car I had to change tires and said that's it,I tried to cold bend the axle before and did not work so here
comes the torch!
First I came up with a plan to check the movement of the axle by laying a laser pointer on the flat surface of the brake drum and
mark the dot on the inside of wheel well. calculated I need the dot to move about a 1/4" (5-6mm) outward.
Then do one side at a time remove drum,backing plate and most importantly the wheel speed sensor.(plastic housing)
Takes 10 minutes to get to this point:
And heat the shiny machined little axle stub at the "root". (close to the black painted side.)
I gave it just enough heat that I could see it starting to glow then have a helper to take the torch and quickly slip a pipe on
the axle and pull back while trying to feel it move.
Only bad part is that the result can not be checked until the axle cools back down because the drum with the bearings in it
will not slide back on due to the tight bearing tolerances on the heat expanded axle. So cool the axle with damp rags,
slide the drum back on,shoot the laser,yep it moved half of what I calculated but I better quit and check on the alignment
machine after assembling this side and do the same on the other side.
One side at time because like to have 3 wheels on the ground otherwise I yank the car off the lift.Still gotta pull with 6 foot pipe.
Well, The alignment machine shows pretty much exactly what the laser did!
I'm in the green zone Barely!
Managed to remove just about 0.3 degrees of tire shredding toe in.
When I get some time, I will tweak at least the left side some more. Now I have a little more confidence in the technique and checking method.
BTW the black paint did not even get hurt on the axle. Need more heat on the left side. Started bending the pipe and barely bent
I'm a lot happier now but it needs a little more!