View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 60 of 110 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Today I had a chance to attempt to tweak the stub axle with a pipe as my homemade divice snapped on me again,this time on the left side. The right side has been reinforced twice due to breaking.

Remove right rear wheel,knock out the metal cup axle nut cover, remove nut (30mm socket) pull off hub bearing/drum assembly
    measure the diameter of the axle stub (where the bearing slides on) = 28mm.

Hunting around the shop with caliper in hand looking for a pipe with inner diameter of 28mm.

An old floor jack handle is perfect fit on the stub axle.One half of the two piece handle.(borrowed from coworker). Nice and heavy feel to it.

Had another pipe to slip over this one for about a total of 7 foot levarege.
    But before I jump on that I wanted a reference so I slipped the hub/drum assembly back on,layed a laser pointer across two adjacent studs against the flat face of the drum and projected a dot forward on 3 places that I marked with a marker.

First low on the back side of the plastic aerodynamic fence that runs along the bottom of the rocker panel,then a bit higher on the painted lip of the metal fender,then even higher in the inner fender liner. (just by rotating the drum while pressing the laser pointer against it)

Pulled the drum off slipped the pipes on,sat on the ground and gave it a good pull propped my feet up against another car's tire next to the mirage. (my car is on a car hoist lowered enough so the remaining 3 tires have some weight on them.This keeps me from yanking the mirage off the hoist!)

Pull pipes off,slip drum back on,check with laser pointer against marks,no difference so repeat with more and more force,checking after each attempt.
    Well the jack handle pipe started bending right past the very short little stub axle. I had a steel coupler that was a perfect fit on the jack handle. So I tapped that on the pipe with a hammer (1-1/2" steel coupling from home improvement store) gave it more hell, now the pipe starts permanently bending right past my reinforcement sleeve,but it looks like the laser dot is just slightly outside my marks.

So I went to the other side and now knowing how much force it takes to pull and not move the damn axle stub at all,I gave it all I had which pretty much destroyed my buddy's jack handle. (bent it a bunch right past the sleeve.had to straighten it in a press before returning it)

But again it seemed as the laser dot moved just a little bit. Reassemble the car,set it up on the alignment machine and it shows this:

ORIGINAL READING HOW IT CAME FROM FACTORY
    Name:  alignment1.jpg
Views: 1209
Size:  77.8 KB

AFTER TWEAKING
    Name:  alignment reading.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  34.2 KB

Seems like it might have tweaked a total of 0.1 degrees.

This gives me hope that once I build a super beefy pipe with a 28mm inner diameter and I can really get on it,I might be able to straighten the defective crap on my car.

The little stub axle is incredibly tough as I just learned. This also confirms to me that there is no way the transport car hauler could have sinched the straps down hard enough over the tires to permanently cause this issue on these mirages. (hear me old mech? )

Little birds chirped that they had ONE jig screwed up in the factory and it is now corrected. Gee what a relief that is to us with the defective axles. And how do I end up with all of them when I have the opportunity to put a mirage on the alignment rack? Please don't ask where the little birds got their information from because I already got in trouble for sharing too much. On the other hand I really lost my respect toward corporate so I actually don't care.
    My techline case was generated with 18K miles on my car. Now almost 40K on it and I'm still dicking around with the defective axle...think they are going to hook me up now?Pfft.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

91cavgt (12-13-2015),cyclopathic (12-13-2015),deleted user (12-12-2015),R01k (12-13-2015)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thanks for sharing your story!

I was wondering if anyone looked at manufacturing dates of these Mirages with defective axle. Ours is 2015 and the axle was right on money what you'd expect. Perhaps this has already been fixed a while back?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I posted a printout of a 15 mirage out of specs a few months ago on this thread. Was not as horribly out as my car but it was still out of the already generous specs.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Sheesh...we shouldn't have to be reefing on the axles of our BRAND NEW CARS with sections of pipe like cavemen.

Are you listening, Mitsubishi????

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm wondering if they are actively checking new Mirages being sold to see if they are misaligned. I bought mine in October.

Thanks
    Speculation based on experience, worth what you paid for it.

Only an idiot would not cure the problem at the source and I don't think Mitsu got where it is by being idiots (international mega conglomerate).

The alignment issue is only prevalent in areas with modern high speed transportation arteries. Even in this forum you have only a few responders, some of whom have SERIOUS alignment problems. Compared to them mine is minor. The maximum spec now allowed for rear toe is ludicrous in my opinion and tire wear is the ultimate measurement of alignment.

My 2015 was made in July 2014. My guess would be that was the first month of 15 production. Left rear is basically perfect at -1.2 camber and .05 toe. Right rear is where the problem arises, with toe at .30 and camber at -2.1.

In spite of that my tire wear is negligible and my turnbuckle tensioner failed early since the ends of the eyes just opened up until the tension was gone.

I stated earlier that I could fix mine and that statement stands. If I have no excess tire wear or significant mileage penalty, I can wait for a cure from Mitsu.

I would speculate that the 2017 axle has either been built more carefully or has an added adjustability feature. With that new design refinement, Mitsu has solved the issue of a reliable supply of replacement axles. I would bet that they negotiated this with the manufacturer since the specifications for the original axles were not met.

If this is fact then they will start replacing them once the 2017s become available, by just building a few thousand extra axle assemblies, probably gratis by the manufacturer to avoid legal complications.

Thanks to 3dplane for his efforts to bring this issue to our attention. His frustrating journey bothers me as far as what Mitsu hasd one to correct the problem. Toe can be checked easily an a new replacement axle if they care enough to actually fix the problem.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

cyclopathic (12-13-2015)

Thanks
    Where Mitsu will get in even greater trouble with this issue is when a body shop tries to repair a damaged rear axle and can not get the repair to hold alignment due to defective replacement parts.

No corporation wants to enter a courtroom where they face a class action by owners with legitimate issues, especially an issue that could lead to control and stability problems.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I can say from my experiences with mitsu and other people in my family that has dealt with mitsu we will never buy from them again. I have been bullied out of every dealership for warrenty issues regarding this.

Even them going so far as to fudge numbers to make it "within spec" its garbage tactics and even mitsu canada sided with the dealers on the issue.

I dont ever expect a fix.

Interesting enough my mirage was parked next to a sonic yesterday and you can physically see the difference between the rear tires. The sonics was straight up and down. My mirage / \. Sad that gm can get it right...

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Since I got my axle replaced, it appears as though my rear tire wear has accelerated, specifically right rear. My dealer never told me what the new alingnment specs are but my guess is it is worse than before. Hopefully a fix can be implemented before the right rear tire has to be replaced.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    Since I got my axle replaced, it appears as though my rear tire wear has accelerated, specifically right rear. My dealer never told me what the new alingnment specs are but my guess is it is worse than before. Hopefully a fix can be implemented before the right rear tire has to be replaced.
    They replaced my axle twice. The dealer said that the readings in the second axle were fine only after they "adjusted" the machine. Interestingly, I took the car to an independent shop and the alignment was off, by them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)