View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 109 of 110 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1099

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Eggman, I forgot to answer your questions. I have a 2014 5-speed ES with 47,355 miles.

I am about to replace the tires (actually I want to change the rims and tires to Top Fuel's well researched recommendations posted here). The front driver side brake pads have also worn faster than the front passenger side (tires rotated and brakes inspected every ~5k miles). I'm running up against the 5 year warranty limit so am hoping to rule out the rear alignment issue.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Seems to me it makes sense to let a Mitsubishi service department check your alignment before replacing your rims & tires. They won't warrant parts from others.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks Eggman, I agree. The dealer is ~4 hour drive away. I'm getting a local alignment check first to determine if I need to make the trek to the dealer.

Do you have any thoughts or comments on my guess at interpreting the results and recommendations? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    so the tire wear is still fine on my rear. The front are wearing more on the inside, need camber bolts.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanSproutExpress View Post
    ...I would like to cross-check the results with the specs posted by TopFuel
    ...Unfortunately none of the numbers in the screenshot are labeled and I don't know enough to be confident which number refers to what.
    First of all let me say that you are doing the right thing by trying to make sure your car is aligned properly before spending a dime on new wheels/tires!

Check out this screenshot. This shows the rear alignment specs on a machine at a Mitsubishi dealership from 2016. These specs are in degrees. I think these are the most commonly-accepted specs...but we have seen these vary at different shops. In the end, the only specs that really matter are what the dealer is using...

Name:  image3.JPG
Views: 861
Size:  36.8 KB

Here is where that image came from.

Are you able to tell me which numbers refer to toe, camber, and total toe?
    Overall, my point is I don't fully understand these results.
    I think you are reading the right numbers. Unfortunately your alignment isn't all in one unit of measurement. Camber is in degrees, but toe is in inches. You'll have to convert those toe readings into degrees (unless you find the specs somewhere in inches). I'm not completely certain how to do that conversion. You might try this guy's Alignment Unit Conversion Tool. Even using that website is leaving me scratching my head a little.

Alignment readouts can be in degrees, inches, mm, and even minutes/seconds. It's confusing for sure.

If you paid for that alignment, I would be tempted to go back there when the tech is on duty so he can explain the results to you. That alignment software probably has a setting where it would display everything in degrees. But apparently they aren't using it that way.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

BeanSproutExpress (09-26-2018),MetroMPG (09-25-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Camber is in degrees, but toe is in inches. You'll have to convert those toe readings into degrees (unless you find the specs somewhere in inches). I'm not completely certain how to do that conversion. You might try this guy's Alignment Unit Conversion Tool.
    Thank you Top Fuel, I was assuming the toe values were units of seconds (i.e. degrees-minutes-seconds), not inches. Ha! Using the link you provided worked for converting to degrees. The results make sense now when converting. It looks to me that my rear axle is within spec. Over 47,000 miles I have not had noticeable uneven tire wear on the Ensave tires with regular rotations. I think I'm good to go forward with replacing the tires.

Also, thank you for clarifying the source of the alignment specs. I didn't realize the numbers bracketing each measurement in the dealer photo represented these spec limits.

Thank you all for your help. The repair shop that did this has had a lot of technician and management turn over recently and their service quality has declined substantially. It's frustrating that I couldn't get help understanding these results, so your assistance is really appreciated. I think this is the last time I'll be using them after 4 years of loyalty. Sigh ...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanSproutExpress View Post
    ...It looks to me that my rear axle is within spec
    ...47,000 miles I have not had noticeable uneven tire wear
    Awesome! Sounds like you are good to go. One of my rear wheels is close to being out of spec. I can't remember the numbers off the top of my head...but is like .05 degrees close.

I'm at 50K+ miles and with regular rotations I am not seeing any unusual wear on any of my tires, either.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  IMG_1165.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  90.5 KB
    Just had my 2018 G4 checked yesterday, more data for your logs.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Aron For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-12-2019),Top_Fuel (05-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm just curious...does your car track straight on a flat road if you let go of the steering wheel...or does it want to drift off to the right?

Name:  aaron.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  44.4 KB

Looking at your rear toe numbers, your left rear is pointing inward while your right rear is pointing outward. So the rear end of your car is trying to push to the right like this...

Name:  aaron2.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  7.2 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Straight roads are fine but seem too feel sketchy with wind gusts.
    They seem to toss the car more than they should.
    With road crown plus dog track, think it all adds up.
    Now I'm probably gonna have to call the dealership and see what they would like to do.
    As the right rear seem pretty out.