Thread: Maxxis AP2 165/65R14 - what are your thoughts?

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Maxxis AP2 165/65R14 - what are your thoughts?

Recently, my workplace received a shipment for a set of four Maxxis AP2 all-weather tires in 165/65R14 83T XL. I'm uploading a pair of photos of the tire in question and I want to know what your thoughts are on it. Would you take them up to Whistler in winter with one of these?

Name:  20220526_163226.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  96.1 KB
    Name:  20220526_163249.jpg
Views: 498

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtr990 View Post
    Recently, my workplace received a shipment for a set of four Maxxis AP2 all-weather tires in 165/65R14 83T XL. I'm uploading a pair of photos of the tire in question and I want to know what your thoughts are on it. Would you take them up to Whistler in winter with one of these?

Name:  20220526_163226.jpg
Views: 419
    Name:  20220526_163249.jpg
Views: 498
    https://www.tire-reviews.com/Tire/Ma...Season-AP2.htm

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

jtr990 (06-01-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    From what I can tell is those are primarily a winter tire with all season as a secondary function. I bet they will do very very well in snow. They show as an eco focused tire and I am interested on how your mpg does, if you don't mind keeping us posted. It doesn't seem if these are meant to be sold in the US for some reason. I am not saying one could not find them here, however.
    If I lived in the northern US or Canada I would rock those on my Mirage for sure.
    https://www.maxxis.com/ca/tire/all-season-ap2/

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    From what I can tell is those are primarily a winter tire with all season as a secondary function. I bet they will do very very well in snow. They show as an eco focused tire and I am interested on how your mpg does, if you don't mind keeping us posted. It doesn't seem if these are meant to be sold in the US for some reason. I am not saying one could not find them here, however.
    If I lived in the northern US or Canada I would rock those on my Mirage for sure.
    The sticker on the Maxxis AP2 tire indicates all-season tire, but it looks more like an all-weather tire to me?

Summer tires
    All-seasons tires
    All-weather tires
    Winter tires

I've been led to believe an all-weather tire is somewhat in between an all season & winter tire. It's for those who don't want to change to back & forth between summer & winter tires. They may not be the best summer or winter tires, but they can pull off doing both. For countries that mandate snow tires, I believe their rating qualifies, too.

The appeal of all-weather tires to me - They should be quite good in the winter when new. As they get worn down, they could be used up during the other months.

The closest thing I have seen to that in a 165/65r14 tire in the States is the Vredestein Quatrac 5 tire. It's also labeled an all-season tire, but it's more of an all-weather like the Maxxis AP2 in my opinion.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The sticker on the Maxxis AP2 tire indicates all-season tire, but it looks more like an all-weather tire to me?

Summer tires
    All-seasons tires
    All-weather tires
    Winter tires

I've been led to believe an all-weather tire is somewhat in between an all season & winter tire. It's for those who don't want to change to back & forth between summer & winter tires. They may not be the best summer or winter tires, but they can pull off doing both. For countries that mandate snow tires, I believe their rating qualifies, too.

The appeal of all-weather tires to me - They should be quite good in the winter when new. As they get worn down, they could be used up during the other months.

The closest thing I have seen to that in a 165/65r14 tire in the States is the Vredestein Quatrac 5 tire. It's also labeled an all-season tire, but it's more of an all-weather like the Maxxis AP2 in my opinion.

I based my description based on what I found on MAXXIS' website. It is listed under their winter tires using this link.
    https://www.maxxis.com/ca/tires/autolt/winter/
    "A true all-season winter tire featuring the latest snow compound and construction for improved high-speed stability and handling."
    Seems to imply it is foremost a winter tire.
    I hadn't heard the term all weather tire before but I agree it could be labeled as such and also the Quatrac 5. Although I would opine that the AP2 is geared more towards the snow as the mfr. does label it as a winter tire.
    Whereas the Quatrac 5 seems to be an all season tire with the added 3PMSF rating giving it snow capabilities between an M+S tire and a winter tire. Selecting winter tires on Vredestein's website does not include the Quatrac 5.
    https://www.vredestein.com/car-suv-tires/products/
    I like what I have read about the Vredestein Quatrac 5 and will most likely what I replace my 165/65/14's with.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I based my description based on what I found on MAXXIS' website. It is listed under their winter tires using this link.
    https://www.maxxis.com/ca/tires/autolt/winter/
    "A true all-season winter tire featuring the latest snow compound and construction for improved high-speed stability and handling."
    Seems to imply it is foremost a winter tire.
    I hadn't heard the term all weather tire before but I agree it could be labeled as such and also the Quatrac 5. Although I would opine that the AP2 is geared more towards the snow as the mfr. does label it as a winter tire.
    Whereas the Quatrac 5 seems to be an all season tire with the added 3PMSF rating giving it snow capabilities between an M+S tire and a winter tire. Selecting winter tires on Vredestein's website does not include the Quatrac 5.
    https://www.vredestein.com/car-suv-tires/products/
    I like what I have read about the Vredestein Quatrac 5 and will most likely what I replace my 165/65/14's with.
    The term all-weather tire has been around for some time. The Nokian WRG3 all weather tire is a popular one, but they are not found in a 165/65r14 size here.

https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/wh...l-season-tires

I like the concept of an asymmetrical (mixed tread pattern on the same tire) all-weather tire, because they can be rotated like normal tires. Many of today's snow tires have become directional tires, which can't really be rotated that easily. They can be moved from front to back or back to front, but you would have to remount them on their rims to do a criss-cross rotation.

My pair of 165/65r14 Nokian Nordman 7 snow tires have done front axle duty the past 5 winters, & they still look good enough to do a couple more. Even though Nordman 7 tires are a directional tire, they seem to be wearing quite well.

I plan on trying the Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires next, unless something new appears on the scene that is more interesting.

FYI - I have used the following 165/65r14 tires (pairs) on my Mirage. I have 8 steel rims with sensors.

*Dunlop Enasave (factory set, but lost one early to a sidewall issue)
    *Federal SS657 - a pair of these were put on factory stieel rims & used with the pair of the factory Dunlop tires
    Nokian Nordman 7 snow tires - purchased a pair in December of 2017 & added to extra steel rims
    Nexen N'Priz AH5 - Added to extra steel rims, currently on my rear axle
    Kumho Solus TA31 - replaced the worn out Federal SS657 tires above, currently on my front axle
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 - haven't purchased these yet, but they will replace the worn out factory Dunlop tires listed above some day.

* worn out & no longer in use.

I've used/tested a variety of all-season tires on the rear of my Mirage during the winter months. The Dunlop (2017), Federal (2018 & 2019), Nexen (2020), and Kumho (2021) were added in the late fall of the year listed. They aren't snow tires, but they were the newest all-season tires that I had at the time.
    Last edited by Mark; 06-01-2022 at 08:59 PM.

I try not to waste too much time thinking about tires. For winter if they're black, round, cheap and have a snow flake on them then they're good enough.
    The op works at a tire shop I thought, but I guess you don't get much snow in the Vancouver area. When you do it's a complete $hit show.
    Whistler is only 160 km from Langley, just walk if you hit the ditch. It's not that far.
    I threw a few sets of similarish 4 season Nexen tires on a couple cars earlier this spring. If they wear out before summer is over next month I'll let you know. We ran some hankook or kuhmo 4 season tires for a year and a half(65,000kms) they wore well and were fine for the last 2 winters.

I haven't used Maxxis car tires but I was happy with the trailer tires I bought. They lasted 10 years of abuse before they started to crack. I replaced them with some cheap china bombs that were almost bald after 2 years.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Speaking of snow in Vancouver, last February, when I arrived at work in Cloverdale that morning, the parking lot was covered in snow. Before I suited up for work, a driver in a blue Toyota Corolla wearing all-season summer tires drove into the unplowed area, just feet from the Starbucks drive-thru lane. He was completely stuck. He couldn't move forward, and he couldn't move back. It took three guys to push him off the parking lot.

After the snow was plowed away, a driver in a Nissan Qashqai wearing Nexen all-weathers came by for a re-torque. I asked her how did the tires perform in the snow, and she told me they were great. She was able to drive through the unplowed hospital parking lot with no problems. Given the fact that the Qashqai she was driving at the time had all-wheel drive, while the Corolla that was stuck that morning had front-wheel drive.

In short, be prepared for winter, regardless of what car you drive, FWD or AWD.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    UPDATE: I just installed a set of Maxxis AP2s on a customer's 2017 Mirage G4. Here's how they look like after they're mounted:

Name:  20220603_110448.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  98.1 KB
    Name:  20220603_111657.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  98.7 KB

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jtr990 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-03-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jtr990 View Post
    UPDATE: I just installed a set of Maxxis AP2s on a customer's 2017 Mirage G4. Here's how they look like after they're mounted:

Name:  20220603_110448.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  98.1 KB
    Name:  20220603_111657.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  98.7 KB
    They look like they would offer decent traction. They look more like a winter tire than an all-season tire. Thus, the reason why they are classified as an all-weather tire maybe?

My only knock on them would be they are directional tires. Tire rotations are limited to straight front & back, but maybe tire rotations are overrated.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-05-2022),jtr990 (12-31-2023)