View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 110 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

So I noticed that my steering wheel had gotten a little bit off center to the right when going straight. The guy at the dealer took it for a drive and checked the alignment to tell me that the rear right wheel was somewhat misaligned, possibly due to some hard bump on a pothole (no surprise with the winter we've had). The fix is to install a shim on the wheel that will bring it to factory specs. I'll go back within a few days to do it.

I'm no expert on cars, but this is the first time I hear about rear misalignment and a shim on the wheel as the remedy.

===

UPDATE Jan. 9, 2017 by admin...

This thread now contains hundreds of posts. For a summary and list of Frequently Asked Questions about this issue see this thread
    :

>>> Rear Alignment Problem FAQ <<<

Also, here is Mitsubishi's official position on rear axle alignment (e-mail from U.S. PR Manager Alex Fedorak):

I'm told by our service department that we are aware some Mirages including some early 2015 models might have a rear axle problem causing some out-of-spec alignment issues. This condition falls under our 5 year/60,000 mile warranty coverage. People who feel they might have a problem should contact their local dealer for an inspection and repair as necessary under warranty.
    This should be helpful for owners who were mistakenly put under the impression (by a dealer) that only the 12 month / 12k mile "adjustment period" covered this.

It's a clear 5/60 warranty issue. Have those customers ask to speak to the factory rep.

Last edited by MetroMPG; 01-09-2017 at 08:33 PM. Reason: (updated thread title, added Mitsubishi U.S. response)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to R01k For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (11-02-2020)

So you're driving one of those cars that looks like a dog running sideways?

I've heard of shimming rear wheels for alignment.

Some rear suspensions have offset / "cam type" bolts that permit some adjustment, others don't and must use shims if things get banged out of spec.

Do a search and you'll turn up some other cars that use this method.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

R01k (03-12-2015)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    On these torsion beam type axles the hub/spindle is usually bolted on and shims can be added here to realign the rear wheels.
    Totally normal for this type.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

R01k (03-12-2015),satria_wr (04-08-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I thought that our setup couldn't be shimmed for some reason or another.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I see. It makes sense now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My car has the same issue...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

the Mirage can not be shimmed

Hey guys!

Unfortunately the mirage can not be shimmed! It pisses me off to no end! ALL the mirage rear alignments are out of specs on at least the toe parameter.

As in towing in too much,

The camber is usually in spec,but only because the spec is almost negative 2 degrees (-1.8) on the rear.

Be patient!

As of today FINALLY Mitsubishi (or at least our rep) responded to our dealership to report mirage rear tire wear issues with picture of the tires along with the alignment print-outs.(showing the failed readings)

Thanks to my collegue (to protect privacy we are going to call him)Peggy who keeps bugging them with sending in EVERY Mirage alignment printout with customer information plus started a TAC case for me on my specific car.

Sofar we put maybe 10 or 12 Mirages on the alignment machine and all of them are failed on the rear the same way.

So we double print and one copy goes to Dwayne who then keeps messing with Mitsu TAC (Technical Assistance Center) about the issue,so they can document it!

I just changed rear tires today at 26K miles on my mirage because they were so chopped that at 53mph and 60 mph you answer your phone because you think that's what's ringing.

We hope that they will someday make a change to their jig that welds the axle stub to the rear beam to correct the toe issue.
    Or make it to where it could be shimmed by 4 bolts like most other wehicles with rear H-beams.

When that happens I will demand a new rear beam but I have not pushed to replace my rear beam because as it stands,the new beam would have the same result as what we got now on our new cars.

So hang in there, and push your dealers to make TAC cases about the issues of out of spec alignments eating the rear tires!
    The more complaints,the faster they will put their butts in gear to do something about it!
    Last edited by 3dplane; 06-02-2015 at 04:16 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

91cavgt (07-02-2015),Daox (03-23-2015),Eggman (02-24-2016),fifteenwindow (03-14-2015),flotownj (05-03-2015),Josharoo (03-16-2015),Kineo (02-07-2016),Teasmade (03-14-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dplane View Post
    Hey guys!

Unfortunately the mirage can not be shimmed! It pisses me off to no end! ALL the mirage rear alignments are out of specs on at least the toe parameter.

As in towing in too much,

The camber is usually in spec,but only because the spec is almost negative 2 degrees (-1.8) on the rear.

Be patient!

As of today FINALLY Mitsubishi (or at least our rep) responded to our dealership to report mirage rear tire wear issues with picture of the tires along with the alignment print-outs.(showing the failed readings)

Thanks to my collegue Dwayne who keeps bugging them with sending in EVERY Mirage alignment printout with customer information plus started a TAC case for me on my specific car.

Sofar we put maybe 10 or 12 Mirages on the alignment machine and all of them are failed on the rear the same way.

So we double print and one copy goes to Dwayne who then keeps messing with Mitsu TAC (Technical Assistance Center) about the issue,so they can document it!

I just changed rear tires today at 26K miles on my mirage because they were so chopped that at 53mph and 60 mph you answer your phone because you think that's what's ringing.

We hope that they will someday make a change to their jig that welds the axle stub to the rear beam to correct the toe issue.
    Or make it to where it could be shimmed by 4 bolts like most other wehicles with rear H-beams.

When that happens I will demand a new rear beam but I have not pushed to replace my rear beam because as it stands,the new beam would have the same result as what we got now on our new cars.

So hang in there, and push your dealers to make TAC cases about the issues of out of spec alignments eating the rear tires!
    The more complaints,the faster they will put their butts in gear to do something about it!
    This is interesting... I wonder if this could cause the wandering steering everyone complains about?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dplane View Post
    Unfortunately the mirage can not be shimmed!
    Then how the service agent at the dealership told me the opposite?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hmm.. so our spindle is welded directly to the torsion beam?!
    Mitsu produced a vehicle for countries with less serviced road systems, (ie. India) that has NO provision for correcting alignment issues caused by potholes n' such.
    Seriously?
    I apologise for my earlier post mistakenly assuming Mitsubishi wouldn't have circumvented such an obvious and necessary feature. Any fool, even I, know this is like page 2 of "Car building for idiots."
    Also I'm frustrated that I can't go out and look because I haven't seen my car for weeks.

Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)