Thread: Wheel Stud Questions

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Wheel Stud Questions

Can a 2018 mirage have its wheel studs replaced with just the caliper and rotor removed? Was doing my brakes today and last tire shop I went to must have over torqued my driver side to hell. Even with pb blaster (some rust) I broke a stud. Another one of the lugs seems crossthreaded. Got some replacement studs but wondering if it's a simple hammer out and install new ones with a lisle stud installer/ratchet.

I actually can't even get the lug nuts off even with a breaker bar. My torque wrench maxes out at like 130 ftlb and 3 of them aren't budging. Tempted on just grinding the nuts off and doing all 4 studs.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    i wouldn't recommend removing lug nuts with a torque wrench. I bet most people never measure or think about how much torque it takes to Remove a lug nut...

ive attached a photo of the rotor and caliper removed. Im not sure if there's enough room there. if you own a grinder and aren't scared of grinding away some of the dust shield if need then im sure you will have enough room.

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 11.33.08 PM.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  72.0 KB
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Yeah you can pound them out without hacking your car apart. Iirc you have to pull the caliper bracket. It’s best to have both front wheels in the air so you can spin the hub around to get it to a spot where there’s enough clearance to remove the stud. It’s tight but they will come out.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (06-07-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    If possible, take it back to King Kong who torqued the nuts on and tell them to a) remove them, b) fix whichever studs break, and c) reinstall them with less than 1,000 lb-ft. It only needs probably between 70 and 90 lb-ft. Not King Kong torque.

I did that to a local shop, after I broke a stud ... and they fixed it for free. They do it because a) they're morons, and b) because why take 0.04 seconds longer than you have to, when you can just crank the air wrench to max torque and pretend you're on Jeff Gordon's pit crew.

P.S. - Not implying mechanics are morons. Just the ones who tighten lug nuts to 1,000 lb-ft. (amongst other moronic crap).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (06-09-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    If possible, take it back to King Kong who torqued the nuts on and tell them to a) remove them, b) fix whichever studs break, and c) reinstall them with less than 1,000 lb-ft. It only needs probably between 70 and 90 lb-ft. Not King Kong torque.

I did that to a local shop, after I broke a stud ... and they fixed it for free. They do it because a) they're morons, and b) because why take 0.04 seconds longer than you have to, when you can just crank the air wrench to max torque and pretend you're on Jeff Gordon's pit crew.

P.S. - Not implying mechanics are morons. Just the ones who tighten lug nuts to 1,000 lb-ft. (amongst other moronic crap).
    I think the lug torque on these cars is 65 ft/lbs. Put 150% of that torque to the lug studs on these cars and they will break.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I think the lug torque on these cars is 65 ft/lbs. Put 150% of that torque to the lug studs on these cars and they will break.
    im pretty sure its 73ft/lbs

just checked the service manual its 72 plus/minus 7 foot pounds dang i was close
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    My 70 to 90 ft-lb guess was pretty decent.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

mohammad (06-10-2022)