View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 79 of 110 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Who here in Georgia or nearby can help this forum member out? Consider swapping wheels for a week or two, until our palebeachbum gets his alignment problems sorted.

Any takers?

I would like to try driving on another set of tires, just to see what they are like.

Your dealer may be difficult, but there is a workaround.

Good luck. Here's hoping someone can help.
    I'm actually in FL now. Time to update the old profile. I've dealt a lot with the service manager. He's been a very straight shooter. Fair and honest. He told me a young guy brought his Mirage in a couple weeks previous for the same wheel alignment problem, but he couldn't do anything for the kid because he had aftermarket wheels and tires on the car. They basically need the parts to be OEM to prove that it's not the parts causing the issue. I had the same experience about 6yrs ago with a Kia Optima. The engine wasn't running right. They said they couldn't honor the warranty for me until they perform their own oil change, since I had last had it changed at a quick lube place. Sounded like a load of crap, but I allowed them to do the oil change and then they honored the warranty and fixed my Optima. I guess they have protocol they have to go through.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palebeachbum View Post
    I'm actually in FL now. Time to update the old profile.
    I'm trying to help.

Name:  youre-killin-me-xxl4fd.jpg
Views: 2028
Size:  24.9 KB

lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    My service manager ordered a replacement axle.

More here in my garage thread.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Maybe I missed it, but has anyone determined if the 2017's are using a different axle? If so, is it adjustable?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Someone took a picture of one as soon as they started hitting the dealer lots. 2017 uses the same welded crap.
    I don't know if they made any adjustments to the manufacturing jigs or not but my guess is that it is the same axle.
    I have not had a chance to put a 17 on the alignment machine yet but I'm curious.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    While on the subject here is 2015 from today:

Mirage # twenty something that I personally see on the alignment machine.

Name:  20160915_170835.jpg
Views: 1588
Size:  86.7 KB

Still have not seen a good one yet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    unbelievable.
    2014 White SE with CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is CLEARLY a design flaw. Mitsubishi needs to own up and issue a recall or something. I'm seriously disappointed to hear that the 2017s have the same flaw. Unacceptable. Was fully expecting a redesigned rear suspension on the 2017s.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but has anyone determined if the 2017's are using a different axle? If so, is it adjustable?
    I took a rear axle pic of one of the first '17s to hit the local lot. This was in March, before they were even for sale. It uses the same design. It is important to note here that Mitsubishi need not redesign the whole axle to solve this problem, they need only tighten up their quality control when manufacturing the axle.

Let's hope they did...

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-16-2016),MetroMPG (09-16-2016),wellswebdesign (09-16-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just trying to share some positive development.

Long story short.
    Here is how my mirage came from the factory.
    Name:  alignment1.jpg
Views: 1600
Size:  77.8 KB

My mirage is the second worst rear alignment I've seen.(including all the posts in this forum)

Discovered it too late at 18K Mitsubishi was no help.

Built 3 different kinds of device to hold the rear end in position but got tired of them creaking,popping,looking ugly and
    braking every month or two. (the tension required to hold mine snaps 3/8" round stock and 1/4" X 1/2" flat mild steel after some
    flexing of the rear axle.)

Now at 53K miles on the car I had to change tires and said that's it,I tried to cold bend the axle before and did not work so here
    comes the torch!

First I came up with a plan to check the movement of the axle by laying a laser pointer on the flat surface of the brake drum and
    mark the dot on the inside of wheel well. calculated I need the dot to move about a 1/4" (5-6mm) outward.

Then do one side at a time remove drum,backing plate and most importantly the wheel speed sensor.(plastic housing)
    Takes 10 minutes to get to this point:
    Name:  20160917_140353.jpg
Views: 1515
Size:  93.2 KB

And heat the shiny machined little axle stub at the "root". (close to the black painted side.)
    I gave it just enough heat that I could see it starting to glow then have a helper to take the torch and quickly slip a pipe on
    the axle and pull back while trying to feel it move.

Only bad part is that the result can not be checked until the axle cools back down because the drum with the bearings in it
    will not slide back on due to the tight bearing tolerances on the heat expanded axle. So cool the axle with damp rags,
    slide the drum back on,shoot the laser,yep it moved half of what I calculated but I better quit and check on the alignment
    machine after assembling this side and do the same on the other side.

One side at time because like to have 3 wheels on the ground otherwise I yank the car off the lift.Still gotta pull with 6 foot pipe.

Well, The alignment machine shows pretty much exactly what the laser did!
    I'm in the green zone Barely!

Name:  20160917_155242.jpg
Views: 1485
Size:  74.6 KB

Managed to remove just about 0.3 degrees of tire shredding toe in.
    When I get some time, I will tweak at least the left side some more. Now I have a little more confidence in the technique and checking method.
    BTW the black paint did not even get hurt on the axle. Need more heat on the left side. Started bending the pipe and barely bent
    the axle.
    I'm a lot happier now but it needs a little more!

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

Car Nut (09-20-2016),Cobrajet (09-19-2016),Daox (12-07-2017),Eggman (09-19-2016),MetroMPG (09-19-2016),Top_Fuel (09-24-2016)