View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 107 of 110 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1099

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaG4 View Post
    So they put a new axle in Wednesday and realigned the car. New axle is defective also.
    Man that absolutely stinks. The replacement must have been way out of spec.

This situation has only happened to 2 or 3 people before...and I'm not sure what the final resolution was in those cases. Let us know what they say...and be sure to keep driving that free loaner because that has to be killing them. At least they have an incentive to solve this.

Last edited by Top_Fuel; 07-27-2018 at 01:30 PM. Reason: spelling

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Man that absolutely stinks. The replacement must have been way out of spec.

This situation has only happened to 2 or 3 people before (and I'm not sure what the final resolution was in those cases. Let us know what they say...and be keep driving that free loaner because that has to be killing them. At least they have an incentive to solve this.
    Yea still got the loaner but this is getting old. If they can’t fix this one they should give me another G4 off the lot with similar options but have an alignment check done first before giving it to me.

I guess there’s no way of knowing a replacement axle is within specs or not before shipping it out to a dealer before the repair is done?

I really hated the wandering steering it had on the original axle. I bought the car partially so I could use it to visit my 2 sons 10 hours away in South Carolina but thought how aggravating and tiresome it would be to constantly make corrections on such a long drive. Not only that but possibly dangerous as well.

I was thinking does Mitsubishi even check the rear axle alignment before it goes for Government testing such as fuel economy ratings?

I really wish I had seen this forum before I bought my car. It would of saved me a lot of headaches.
    Last edited by FloridaG4; 07-27-2018 at 04:13 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I really wish I had seen this forum before I bought my car. It would of saved me a lot of headaches
    These really are great cars, and the rear alignment issue on some of them is almost literally their ONLY fault. I know it is frustrating, but try to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Once this is resolved...and it will be...you will have 100,000+ miles of trouble-free motoring to South Carolina!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Cobrajet has a point. Your dealer is working on this for you and not trying to weasel out, which is a good thing. I'm sure they are just as frustrated that they have to do the job a second time with a manufacturer representative present to witness. It's funny how some problems tend to pull more resources than it should.

It is a good thing you did not do a bunch of modifications - it would have given your service department a way to avoid doing this work.

Cheers to your service department, and best wishes for a speedy return of your Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Cobrajet has a point. Your dealer is working on this for you and not trying to weasel out, which is a good thing. I'm sure they are just as frustrated that they have to do the job a second time with a manufacturer representative present to witness. It's funny how some problems tend to pull more resources than it should.

It is a good thing you did not do a bunch of modifications - it would have given your service department a way to avoid doing this work.

Cheers to your service department, and best wishes for a speedy return of your Mirage.
    Well actually I’ve done quite a few modifications in the 2 weeks I was able to drive it. Put a factory enter console in. Factory window vent shades, replaced all 4 factory door speakers for infinity speakers. Installed factory Led daytime running lights and had the windows tinted. I can take out everything and return to stock except the window tint.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well actually I’ve done quite a few modifications in the 2 weeks...
    Thank goodness you didn't change wheel or tire sizes from OEM. Otherwise you would be looking at the bottom side of a bus right now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Thank goodness you didn't change wheel or tire sizes from OEM. Otherwise you would be looking at the bottom side of a bus right now.
    On top of the stuff listed I bought a bunch of Chemical guys stuff for paint correction since it won’t be in a garage and out in the sun and elements which tends to fade paint here in the Florida sun. Actually I bought the stuff to do several vehicles we have but was planning to take care of the G4’s paint this weekend. Wanting to keep the factory paint as nice as I can for as long as I can.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    they have been just ridiculous with this issue. this should have been fixed by 2015.
    2014 White SE with CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kapitan View Post
    they have been just ridiculous with this issue. this should have been fixed by 2015.
    I totally agree. This is 4 or 5 years still going on. This is totally unacceptable. Who ever is in charge of quality control of the rear axle assembly should be fired. I would be embarrassed if I was in charge of the rear axle and alignment issues. I mean how hard would it be to remake or fix/tweak the current welding jig for the rear axle? What’s worse is I guess they don’t have a way to see if a replacement axle is welded correctly or not. It’s just a guess if you get a good one or not.
    Last edited by FloridaG4; 07-28-2018 at 12:28 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've always suspected that it was an economic decision by Mitsubishi to deal with the problem as a warranty issue.

Do you spend a million dollars to fix/replace a manufacturing jig in a factory where the car may not be made much longer...or do you just keep cranking out cars and fix the ones where the owners actually complain? These cars are sold all over the world. I'm sure in many non-US markets the roads are terrible and wheel alignment is a luxury.

Even in the US, most Mirage owners are uninformed/complacent about the issue. How many Mirages sold in the US in the last 4 years probably need a new rear axle? Maybe 1,000 or more? How many new rear axles have been installed in the US under warranty? I don't know...I bet it's not more than 100. If you're a bean-counter, it's a no-brainer decision. It's cheaper just to fix the few that pop up before the warranty runs out.

The other thing they could do is check/correct the alignment as part of the pre-delivery process in certain markets (like the US). Apparently that's too expensive as well. I know I won't buy another Mirage (new or used) without a 4 wheel alignment sheet in my hand.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-02-2018)