Thread: Car buying experience: Dealer vs Customer

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question Car buying experience: Dealer vs Customer

A recent thread debate inspired me to start this one.

How do you feel as a customer buying a car? What are your thoughts on the pre-purchase research, the pricing, the rebates, the strategies dealers use to "get you in the door"? Isn't it in your best interest to get the LOWEST possible price? (this is your money afterall) What do you feel about the epitome of the "sleezy salesman"?

Dealers: How do you feel about customers trying to get the best price? One said "buyers are liars". How do you feel about that? Isn't it in your best interest to sell the car for the HIGHEST price? (this probably leads to more money in your pocket?) What do you feel about the customer who nickels and dimes you to death?

HOW does anybody feel about the NEGOTIATION process? (both before and after )

Go!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I will start by saying, in my opinion, negotiating is a very difficult process that can be driven by logic then confused by emotions when both sides (dealer and customer) have a vested interest to maximize their gains. (be it profit, free car mats, or selling warranty, etc.)

The process is fun! I wish I could buy a new car every year to make a better (and fair) negotiation each and every time!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think every dealer should do there absolute best offer they can up front. I think customers need to go into the process knowing dealers hands are tied on new cars. They are governed by there franchise automakers. Dealers need to try to look at buying a car through the customers eyes, and customers need to look at buying a car through the dealers eyes. Used cars is where negotiating gets fun, no governing rules
    I love everything about Mitsubishi!!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to grsupercity For This Useful Post:

FitnessPatterns (03-16-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When you buy a mirage second hand the transferable warranty is 5year 60k powertrain. Just something to think about.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to alex16 For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ya the warranty was one of the resons I bought a new instead of the 2014 used (Fully loaded) but the 100/10 powertrain was to much to pass up for me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodger For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Five years ago my Memaw and I set out to buy a car , and had horrific experiences at about 75% of the dealerships we visited. I already had a budget of $15,000 , had an idea of what I wanted, and test drove some vehicles. I ended up getting a 2010 Aveo for a fair price imho. I do realize that dealerships are there to make money, but during the whole ordeal for my first car, the only dealership that wanted to even deal with me was the last Chevy dealer. The Kia dealership wanted $18,500 for a 2010 Kia Rio and told us that they'd be making $100 on the sale. I still don't believe that for a second.

As for my Mirage, I just walked up to the salesman and said 'I want to test drive that blue manual Mirage you had online.' It took maybe 15 minutes to negotiate a fair price and fair trade in. (the Aveo's transmission was falling apart, the car had a bunch of other little issues, and had a $600 timing belt service coming up. Sayonara!) The only problem was it took 2.5 hours to get credit. My credit score is great, but technically I don't make enough money to pay the payments (lies!). The Mitsubishi dealer tried everything to get me in that car, and I was signing papers when they were closing up.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chickenlittle For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Chickenlittle,

Sounds like you had a long day making it happen! My Mirage purchase was similar. Started around 4pm. Didn't leave until dark. But drive off the lot like a ninja in my (first new car) Black Mirage!

You ended up with a Mirage! Both you and the car dealer won
    Thank you for sharing your story!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think dealers of course try to take as much money out your pocket as they can. They're not a non-profit or a charity after all. That's why it's in our best interest as a customer to get there as informed as possible. By this I mean to know your credit score, car 's regional average price, financing process, etc, etc. The other option is to just trust everybody there and come out with the worst deal ever, but convinced that you got the best price of the year.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    when we got our Mirage I had a preapproved auto loan from my credit union so I knew the most they would loan me on a 2015 Mirage ES but they had a great price on the Mirages well below the MSRP. the dealer I bought from is one I have used for the last couple of cars I have bought they are owned buy a local fam and know how to treat there customers they may not have the a modern fancy showroom but there sales men don't feed you a bunch of BS. they let us drive all the cars we wanted then leave to make our decision with no presser to buy at this second. We came back with our trade that they gave us a good value on a POS car and left happy and next car I get will probably be a Mitsu again though them.