Thread: ScangaugeE vs. Ultra Gauge vs. BT OBDII/Android

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

ScangaugeE vs. Ultra Gauge vs. BT OBDII/Android

I can see that there are several posts discussing the various OBD-II reader options for maximizing fuel economy on the forum here.

With the current crappy US/CAD exchange rate and terrible cross-border shipping rates, things have changed a bit recently.

Traditionally, the BT OBD-II reader is the cheapest as long as you don't mind mounting your phone with every trip, or leaving an unused mobile mounted in your car. I do have a couple of un-used Android phones laying around and I happen to have a couple of BT OBD-II adapters on route to my house, but they are taking FOREVER (not literally obviously).

Though, I think I might prefer a ScangaugeE/Ultra Gauge instead.

So, here's the deal.

- There are no good deals for either on eBay (Canada) at the moment.
    - I can get a ScangaugeE delivered for $131CAD.
    - Because of the horrible exchange rate, an Ultra Gauge will cost $130CAD before taxes and border fees.

Normally, the Ultra Gauge is a less expensive option, but it's not right now.

Is it worth paying more for the Ultra Gauge? The ScangaugeE will be able to match my orange dash color and provide the info I need.

I think I only need to see instantaneous fuel rate (L/100km) and maybe engine load. I'm happy with the trip average shown on the MID.

Opinions?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 53.4 mpg (US) ... 22.7 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 64.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerAbuser View Post
    I can see that there are several posts discussing the various OBD-II reader options for maximizing fuel economy on the forum here.

With the current crappy US/CAD exchange rate and terrible cross-border shipping rates, things have changed a bit recently.

Traditionally, the BT OBD-II reader is the cheapest as long as you don't mind mounting your phone with every trip, or leaving an unused mobile mounted in your car. I do have a couple of un-used Android phones laying around and I happen to have a couple of BT OBD-II adapters on route to my house, but they are taking FOREVER (not literally obviously).

Though, I think I might prefer a ScangaugeE/Ultra Gauge instead.

So, here's the deal.

- There are no good deals for either on eBay (Canada) at the moment.
    - I can get a ScangaugeE delivered for $131CAD.
    - Because of the horrible exchange rate, an Ultra Gauge will cost $130CAD before taxes and border fees.

Normally, the Ultra Gauge is a less expensive option, but it's not right now.

Is it worth paying more for the Ultra Gauge? The ScangaugeE will be able to match my orange dash color and provide the info I need.

I think I only need to see instantaneous fuel rate (L/100km) and maybe engine load. I'm happy with the trip average shown on the MID.

Opinions?

Go for Ultragauge. It offers more flexibility and usability. can clear error codes and the llight blue display is cool to the eyes. You may want to try using ULtragauge Blue.
    BTW ultragauge user here.

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    The scangauge can clear DTC codes aswell (i have a SG 2)..
    I haven't tried the Ultragauge, but would like to seen one in action, but don't know one that has one

I think like arjee says, maybe you get more from the Ultragauge, but i like the oldschool design of the Scangauge2 and i got it almost free, so i can't complain .. (The SG, can show the 2 digit screen in different colours, but the Ultragauge only in Blue..)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ya, I need to watch some videos for the two since the price is pretty close. From pictures, it looks like the Scangauge will match the dash color. The Ultra Gauge looks more modern though.

The ScangaugeE has a bar graph, which I don't believe either the SGII or Ultra Gauge have.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 53.4 mpg (US) ... 22.7 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 64.1 mpg (Imp)

Yes, I really like the bar graph feature.

You really only need the ScanGauge 2 if you want to view 4 gauges at once and/or if you want to use the programmable x-gauge feature (EG hybrid owners).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Sometimes I could be nice to have a more modern look, but I'm very happy with the scangauge.
    It always shows the mpg, km/h (since it's more accurate than the spedometer) water temperature and the last gauge am I changeing a bit I'm happy!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had an older scangauge and I like my ultragauge a lot better.