Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Removed my intake snorkel & baffle

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Removed my intake snorkel & baffle

I took it off to experiment with it, engine bay looks better to me and it makes slightly more intake noise.the air is being pulled closer to the engine so it might be slightly warmer but with a mod this simple I doubt it gives any kind of real gain mpg/hp, just easy and make the bay look better to me.

I used a 6 inch extension (a 2"" or deep socket will be fine) and a 10mm socket to remove the one bolt on the valve cover that holds it on.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 4186
Size:  93.0 KB

Views: 6811
Size:  94.7 KB

Views: 2876
Size:  94.3 KB

2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to alex16 For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-17-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've thought about doing this a few times. I do like the uncluttered look it gives the engine bay, but as you mentioned I'd be worried about the warmer intake temps. Keep us posted on this mod.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm actually looking for warmer intake temperatures with the weather changing so much it would be difficult to get a accurate test on how much difference this modification has made.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

What if you made a snorkel that pulled warmer air from right above the exhaust manifold? Plastic would probably not be a good choice of material lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am trying to figure out a way to do this. The idea in my mind currently is to find a coolant hose that fits snug into the air on baffle hole that is pre bent if possible to the exhaust manifold heat sheild, which is square. I might have to use exhaust piping. The main oval hole for the original snorkel would need to be blocked with a thermostatic spring to allow it to open when engine is warm. This is kind of a complicated idea but it's the only way I can think of currently to get iat temps higher on a cold engine.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to alex16 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-25-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just took two more bolts off and removed the rear section of the air box to do some research, and then I saw how easy spark plug access was and now I'm anti seizing them (had to come inside for a bit and find my copper anti seize)

Views: 2559
Size:  93.3 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mirage addict, any updates on how your car is with the snorkel removed?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It doesn't really do much for power or mpg, it just adds a little sound to your revs, a little more bass in the engine note. I check my air filter (takes 30 seconds to remove and re install) every fill up and noticed no signs of dirt after 12k miles (5k or so like this)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    It doesn't really do much for power or mpg, it just adds a little sound to your revs, a little more bass in the engine note. I check my air filter (takes 30 seconds to remove and re install) every fill up and noticed no signs of dirt after 12k miles (5k or so like this)
    Do you think it was just added to address noise concerns, or do you think you're getting somewhat warmer air without the intake tubing? I guess I could pop mine off and see for myself, but if your willing to speculate based on your experience so far that would be cool.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I would suspect you would get warmer air, but the snorkel is primarily for reduction of the waaaaaaa lower frequency intake noise.

I tried it and found my ability to engage the clutch at consistently lower revs was improved, but I put it back on after a test drive.

At 64 my hearing is bad enough.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)