Thread: DASH SERVICE-ENGINE-SOON light & WRENCH SYMBOL glowing

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

DASH SERVICE-ENGINE-SOON light & WRENCH SYMBOL glowing

"Service Engine Soon" light comes on--& occasionally off. Engine has under 3K miles. Perhaps it's a computer-chip problem? Dealer=100 miles away. Concern=if I drive 100 miles, it'll blow up. This account may be incomprehensible but here goes.
    HISTORY
    1.) Approx 2K miles "Service Engine" light appears; local mechanic checks engine & resets light (to off).
    2.) Soonishly, "Service.." light on. Then "Service" vanishes--when I scrape a door. Door-scrape repaired. Now "Service engine soon" is baaack.

Wrench symbol came on v, soon after purchase. Took to dealer. Dealer reassurance=light there as gentle reminder that eventually--many miles in future-- there's oil change. In other words dealer didn't fix it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You'll probably need to get it to your dealer for the SES light. That's not a good thing. May not be serious, but it needs attention. Wrench is another matter. It's driven by the service interval miles and service interval months. It comes on ahead of time so you can plan your next oil change. Probably triggered by months rather than miles, if it sat at the dealers for awhile. A good dealer would have set it to 6 months when you bought it. A really good dealer would have changed the oil and reset it

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 44.2 mpg (US) ... 18.8 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The wrench symbol can be turned off with the trip reset button on the instrument cluster with the key out. For the SES light, that requires warranty repairs by the dealer. You can either drive it there, or if you bought it new, take advantage of the free unlimited mile towing through Mitsubishi's roadside assistance.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cani Lupine For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-18-2015),rzb (03-19-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Straight to the dealer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to R01k For This Useful Post:

rzb (03-19-2015)

Phantasmagoria
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Take it to the dealer!! ASAP see my thread "Uh-oh cvt problems" for motivation. If it quits on the way there call Mitsubishi for a tow and free rental car.(providing your problem is under warranty).

Mitsubishi wants their customers to be happy, so if you feel the dealer is not being professional tell someone at Mitsubishi.

My local dealer has been very good to me taking care of my issues, and also with basic services.
    Last edited by DonHoot; 03-18-2015 at 09:23 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you very much--driving it down tomorrow

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Dealers never tell you this information, but being an ex-mechanic I learned it myself.

If the check engine light comes on, you can continue driving it as it is safe to do so.

If the check engine light comes on AND is flashing, you need to stop it as soon as possible and call a tow truck.

The computer automatically determines the severity of the problem that triggered the check engine light to come on. It then let's the driver know how severe the problem is by just turning on, or flashing. If it flashes, this means major damage could occur if you keep driving it. If it just comes on, it may be a minor problem such as a minor EVAP leak that is detected and is safe to drive it to get it repaired.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

DemiRage (03-19-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Car knowledge is wonderful, Certified Holder.
    THANKYOU!