Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage ES 5 speed manual vs 2014 Mitsubishi i-MiEV ES

While in college attaining my A.A.S. in Automotive Technology degree my classmates and I converted a Geo Metro convertible to an lead-acid powered electric car. It was a rather fun and challenging experience. The old 3 cylinder engine was replaced by an electric motor, an inverter, controller and batteries from what I remember. We kept the 5 speed manual transmission but ditched the clutch if memory serves me right. The automotive instructor at the time wanted the students to get their hands "dirty" in the electric car realm as well as learn about gas-to-electric conversions. In the end, he intended on using the EV Geo Metro for commuting from home to work lol... and it worked for the most part. Unfortunately, our class did not fully finish the project so the next class had to take over it. We did get to see it charge and move under its own power so it was sort of a success by the time our semester ended. Its been years but I'm sad to say I've forgotten most of what I learned back then. I guess its true, if you don't use it you lose it. lol

Anyways, my curiosity for the i-MiEV is for several reasons:

1. Its a modern-day lithium-ion powered usable EV! I would like to own a piece of (Mitsubishi) car history and look back on my experience as a young EV enthusiast owning a "first gen" mass produced EV. I guess it brings me joy even if its not the "best" car at anything in particular.

2. I like that I'm driving a somewhat "rare" car in comparison to what you see on the roads today. It doesn't look like many of the cars out there even in comparison to other mass produced EVs.

3. Its pretty much silent and provides a slightly different driving experience than that of an ICE car.

4. I believe owning an EV will make me more motivated and enthusiastic about learning about EVs in general and become more aware or ready for the "second gen" EV wave that is soon approaching. Imagine a second gen i-MiEV with 200-300 mile range?

5. It's relatively cheap for an OEM built EV when buying used. Even when buying new and filling for EV credits its one of the cheapest available. I've found a bunch of used ones with less than 10,000 miles and under $10K! Many of which still have factory warranties left. Maybe the "limited" range caused all those previous owners to sell them?

6. The annual operating cost (including maintenance and fuel) are lower than that of even a Mirage. $1,400 vs $550 per year (for fuel alone), according to the OEM window sticker. No oil changes, almost zero air filters, regenerative braking reduces brake wear, etc. etc. Even if the electricity is coming from coal or nuclear power plants, at least the car itself is not emitting exhaust gases (FYI I'm not doing this to save the world, just trying to save some money).

7. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems to make financial and economical sense if the range it provides meets my needs?

Please feel free to counter any one of my points or if what I am saying sounds ludicrous. Knock some sense into me even if its a tough pill to swallow. I just think it would be really cool to own and drive an i-MiEV as a daily commuter to save on not having to purchase more expensive gasoline in comparison to electricity. While a Mirage is at the top of its MPG class and starts of cheap, gasoline prices seem to be going back up. The Mirage is still a very affordable and practical car in many aspects.

Last edited by davidricardo86; 03-26-2015 at 03:58 PM.

Member BillThompsonMirage-ES-CVT's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Suggest you join www.myimiev.com/forum. Lots of info on the forum. I used to own a 2012 I-MiEV. If you want, send me a PM with your e-mail and I will send details.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.4 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BillThompsonMirage-ES-CVT For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (03-26-2015)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidricardo86 View Post

Please feel free to counter any one of my points or if what I am saying sounds ludicrous. Knock some sense into me even if its a tough pill to swallow. I just think it would be really cool to own and drive an i-MiEV as a daily commuter to save on not having to purchase more expensive gasoline in comparison to electricity. While a Mirage is at the top of its MPG class and starts of cheap, gasoline prices seem to be going back up. The Mirage is still a very affordable and practical car in many aspects.
    I think your logic and reasons are very well thought out. Further, because electricity can be made from any energy source, but gasoline can only be made from petroleum, electricity will be more price stable long term. Here, the iMev is more than 2x the price of a Mirage. If you can get a great deal on one and you don't need to do long highway trips, it makes perfect sense.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    According to some guy I just heard on the radio - EV is more environmentally friendly if the source of your electricity produces less than 600 tonnes of carbon per GW-hour. That means that using coal to make electricity to power a car is actually worse than just using gas to power the car. Wiki seems to suggest Chicago makes electricity with a nuclear/coal split of about 49%/48%. I'm not sure the electric car is actually much if any greener. I'm guessing the coal/nuclear split would be around 500 tonnes carbon per GW-hour, and of course there are other issues with air quality around coal, and long term nuclear waste disposal. That said - electric cars are super cool! You could be almost perfectly green and carbon neutral if you put a solar array on your garage or a wind turbine in your back yard and made your own power!

Guy on radio link:http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/el...nces-1.3007409
    A rebuttal: http://gallondaily.com/2015/03/26/cb...electric-cars/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Canoehead For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (03-26-2015)