Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Mirage 1.2 vs. Ford Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost - which has better mileage/fuel economy?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I've been watching for more info on the Ecoboost 1.0 from Ford. Interestingly, there seems to be no mention of it on the Ford Canada site or the Ford USA site (though I may be missing it).

Is it possible that they are re-working things to beat the Mirage?

The Globe seems to like the Ecoboost, reporting it won "international engine of the year".

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle12473951/

Seems better things are coming there way. I'd love to see a real gloves-off fight between the big players to make the most efficient car!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I'd love to see a real gloves-off fight between the big players to make the most efficient car!
    That would be great if a few manufactures had a stoush for the most economical cars on price and fuel.
    Besides just trying to outdo each other with the amount of stuff they can pack into a car and the highest kw they get from the engine.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Here is an article repeating that the turbo might not deliver as promised, and that we cannot argue with the physics of light weight and low drag: http://www.driving.ca/inconvenient+t...675/story.html

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Well, the rumour mill is active today:

The US EPA supposedly has the Fiesta 1.0t at 45 mpg (US) highway, 32 mpg city, 37 mpg combined.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/28/2...g-16445-price/

UPDATE: In response to complaints and additional testing, Ford has revised down its Fiesta 1.0T MPG EPA estimates from 32 city / 45 hwy / 37 combined (old) to 31 city / 43 hwy / 36 combined (new).

For reference the Mirage CVT is 40 MPG combined, 5MT is 37 MPG combined.

I can just see the Mitsu folks dusting off their U.S. plans for the Mirage "ECO" now.

... lower ride height, underbody panels, slightly bigger/longer aero "spoiler", smart alternator with regen, eco-5th gear, start-stop...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I want ^ I want

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    They are putting a 3-cyl 1.0L turbo/twin turbo on ecoboost version of the C-Max!! How crazy is that? For such a large heavy car u need a heavier engine, seriously. Even though you tune your turbo to deliver the torgue and higher speed i really wonder how long the engine will last. It's like putting a horse to pull a car without wheels everyday and giving two whips as the turbo, it will soon be over with the engine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    According to the US ratings, the Mirage is also a compact, while the Fiesta is a subcompact. This is based on total interior passenger and cargo space (103 vs 100 cubic feet for the respective hatchbacks). Also of note is that the best efficiency numbers are in the manual transmission on the Ford, but the CVT for the Mirage (manual Mirage=manual Fiesta in combined mpg). Mirage is still the overall winner with a combined 40mpg, compared to the combined 37 of the Ford.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Canoehead For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-29-2013)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    According to the US ratings, the Mirage is also a compact, while the Fiesta is a subcompact. This is based on total interior passenger and cargo space (103 vs 100 cubic feet for the respective hatchbacks). Also of note is that the best efficiency numbers are in the manual transmission on the Ford, but the CVT for the Mirage (manual Mirage=manual Fiesta in combined mpg). Mirage is still the overall winner with a combined 40mpg, compared to the combined 37 of the Ford.
    the mirage is bigger 103 to 100? inside?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    Yup, thats because the Fiesta is a porker! Its one of the heaviest small cars out there at 2500+ lbs. That weight kills its city mileage.

12 lightest cars in the US, 2014 (vs. Mitsubishi Mirage 1973 lbs curb weight)
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spacester View Post
    the mirage is bigger 103 to 100? inside?
    That is correct, according to http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

It seems that some makers are also more efficient with space - providing more passenger and cargo room for a given wheelbase or exterior dimensions. 3 cubic feet is not much, but still enough to earn bragging rights (more efficient and a bigger car)

Here are some other Mirage vs Fiesta comparisons with the larger being bolded:

Wheelbase - Mirage is 2450mm, Fiesta is 2489mm
    Length - Mirage 3780mm, Fiesta 4056mm
    Width - Mirage 1665mm, Fiesta 1976 (1722 if you remove the mirrors)
    Height - Mirage 1500mm, Fiesta 1476mm
    Passenger Volume - Mirage 2440 liters, Fiesta 2410 liters
    Cargo Volume - Mirage 487, Fiesta 422 liters

So, in summary, the Mirage is a "smaller" car on the outside, and a "bigger" car on the inside.

Without typing all the stats - I also noticed that it seems the Fiesta has slightly larger front passenger space dimensions, but slightly smaller rear passenger space dimensions. The Mirage might be preferable for 4 average people, while the Fiesta better for two larger adults and two smaller passengers.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canoehead For This Useful Post:

Daox (10-29-2013),MetroMPG (10-30-2013)