Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mirage refused to start after "check engine soon" message, fuel cap was loose

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I didn’t want to start a new thread so I’ll dump this here:

While out of town a while back a friend dumped some gas from a Jerry can into my Mirage while it was running. It died after a couple mins. We were in the middle of nowhere. I put the cap back on and it did fire back up but we quit doing that.

Then last my charcoal canister and most of the car ended up under water. The fuel tank and pump were full of black goop. I thought it could be from the charcoal canister so unhooked the two hoses from it and left the third vent to the body in place. Surprisingly the engine light stayed off the entire 4 hr drive home, with 3-4 restarts along the way. Even stayed out the following day before finally throwing a P0455. Car runs fine, maybe even better than before. Before cleaning the pump and fuel filter that is.
    I live near Wisconsin Dells. I will keep my eye open for a retired Wisconsin Dells Duck.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...h=603&dpr=1.05

"Tour the Wisconsin Dells area by land and water on amphibious World War II vehicles." These were made to go anywhere. Bridges not required!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-07-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    wasn't there a horrific accident with a duck? many many people were killed?
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

I just skimmed through this article Looks like there have been some accidents in other parts of the country using stretched versions. But"Original Wisconsin Ducks has no history of accidents resulting in serious injury or death, according to a company spokesperson."(I forgot how to add proper quote).
    They complain about lack of seatbelts. Can't bubble wrap everything. How about them motorysicles?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I just skimmed through this article Looks like there have been some accidents in other parts of the country using stretched versions. But"Original Wisconsin Ducks has no history of accidents resulting in serious injury or death, according to a company spokesperson."(I forgot how to add proper quote).
    They complain about lack of seatbelts. Can't bubble wrap everything. How about them motorysicles?
    I've been on the Ducks, & i even considered being a driver a few years ago. I thought it might be a good part-time gig. Plus, they close down in the fall. Seasonal work that wouldn't impact my fall bowhunting or spring turkey hunting all that much. Most of their drivers are young college students. So I would be a bit out of the norm.

Considering they are 78+ year old vehicles, they must have been built quite durable. Soldiers riding a Duck into battle probably weren't overly concerned about seat belt safety.

They take you down the Wisconsin River & part of Lake Delton, & various roads in & out of those spots. As you leave their buildings on a Duck, they point out the Duck graveyard out back. Those have seen better days!

It's like riding a small convertible school bus that can plunge into the water. The Ducks are quite popular despite the fact the Dells has become the Water Park Capital of the World. Wisconsin Dells used to shut down during the winter months, but indoor water parks changed all that a couple decades ago.

I don't know if this is actually true or not, but they make the claim -

"Known and loved as the “Waterpark Capital of the World”, Wisconsin Dells is home to the largest concentration of indoor and outdoor waterparks on Earth — over 20 different parks. Here, there's a ride or a slide to delight even the least adventurous, but if thrills are your thing then you're in for a special treat."

Back in the days when my parents went to the Dells for their honeymoon (early 1960s), the boat tours & Ducks were the main attraction. Sadly, COVID eliminated the Tommy Barlett Water Show (water ski show) after 69 years.

Now, the area just attracts a lot of foreigners (people from Illinois)!

You will actually see license plates from all over the country there I guess!

Last edited by Mark; 06-08-2023 at 10:33 PM.