Thread: Exhaust nuts/bolts - extremely preventative maintenance!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Exhaust nuts/bolts - extremely preventative maintenance!

I have replaced the exhaust in my 17 year old Saturn fairly faithfully every 4 years or so (short commute + salty Ohio winters). Now that I've replaced it with a Mirage, I've thought about coating the nice and shiny-ish exhaust bolt threads in anti-seize compound. Or possibly even replacing the bolts with stainless steel bolts? Or both? Has anyone done this, and if so, do you know the bolt sizes? I know every time I've done the exhaust on my Saturn, 90% of the time I spent is fighting with components rusted together, and I'd like to spend a little time now to save time later. Thoughts?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    All the fasteners on the exhaust should be stainless. I'd be surprised if they weren't. Perhaps not the ones mounting things to the head, but everything else.

Anti-seize surely can't hurt.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume you had to replace the exhaust every 4 years on the Saturn because the pipes were not OE quality stainless. Were you using parts-store replacement piping? That stuff rusts out quick.

An OE quality exhaust system will last much longer than 4 years (even in the northeast), so just replace it with OE components when the time comes and run the car into the ground. I'm sure these components will be somewhat affordable for such a tiny car, and you'll probably only have to do it once in another ten years.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by burnout8488 View Post
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume you had to replace the exhaust every 4 years on the Saturn because the pipes were not OE quality stainless. Were you using parts-store replacement piping? That stuff rusts out quick.

An OE quality exhaust system will last much longer than 4 years (even in the northeast), so just replace it with OE components when the time comes and run the car into the ground. I'm sure these components will be somewhat affordable for such a tiny car, and you'll probably only have to do it once in another ten years.
    For the end of my ownership of the Saturn, yes, it was RockAuto exhaust. I bought the Saturn new in the fall of 98 in California. Moved to Ohio fall of 2000. Spring of 2001, I had some kind of noise with the exhaust, it was a bad resonator, replaced under factory warranty. Not sure if they used OE parts, but about 3, maybe 4 years later, it rusted out. Had a non-dealer shop replace the exhaust then, and every 3-4 years after that, new exhaust and muffler (myself, with RockAuto parts).

The original exhaust on my wifes' 2010 Hyundai is still great in the same conditions my Saturn muffler rusted out quicker in. Here's hoping the Mirage lasts many, many years. I still plan to replace/coat/otherwise make the bolts easier to remove when the time comes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Gotcha, definitely not a bad idea!

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm glad that in Texas we don't have to worry about this kind of thing.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    I'm glad that in Texas we don't have to worry about this kind of thing.
    True, but here in Ohio I don't have to worry about dying if my AC stops working. 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

But you also don't have to file a state income tax return, right? There's another plus. And the gulf coast, another plus, we just have a "great lake". Gas is probably cheaper with all the refineries down there. Okay, you win.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wellswebdesign View Post
    True, but here in Ohio I don't have to worry about dying if my AC stops working. 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

But you also don't have to file a state income tax return, right? There's another plus. And the gulf coast, another plus, we just have a "great lake". Gas is probably cheaper with all the refineries down there. Okay, you win.

I don't know if we win or not. The Texas heat accounts for like 100 of your negative things. Down here, you have to special order a vehicle that does not have A/C. You know it is going to be a hot day in Texas when you walk outside at 5 am in the morning and it is still 90 degrees!! You know it is hot in Texas when you grab the shift knob to put your car in first gear and you get 2nd degree burns on your hand! If you have leather interior in your car in Texas, you DO NOT wear shorts otherwise you will get 2nd degree burns on the back of your thighs.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here in Pennsylvania my exhaust is already covered in rust... haha. I am not sure if there is anything to help it last longer but I am not concerned. I want to replace it anyways with something a little straighter and a glasspack (the stock muffler has almost no aero). I have used BBQ pit spray paint before on exhausts and it held for a a year or two, I think if I go aftermarket I will try to find quality piping and spray it with this very high temperature paint.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    Here in Pennsylvania my exhaust is already covered in rust... haha. I am not sure if there is anything to help it last longer but I am not concerned. I want to replace it anyways with something a little straighter and a glasspack (the stock muffler has almost no aero). I have used BBQ pit spray paint before on exhausts and it held for a a year or two, I think if I go aftermarket I will try to find quality piping and spray it with this very high temperature paint.

If you bake the exhaust in an oven of some sorts at moderate temps for about an hour before you install it, it will be more durable. Just keep in mind that it will smoke a lot and stink to high heaven when you do this.