Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheel discussion

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Wheel discussion

So, I've been considering taking the leap and plus sizing my wheels. I thought, not only do larger wheels and low profile tires look better, but they handle better. The answer is yes and no. Like many things, plus-sizing wheels is a trade-off. While less sidewall does improve steering response by reducing sidewall flex, you give up straight-line performance from the added mass.

Plus-sizing wheels takes a two-fold hit to acceleration from the fact that larger wheels are usually heavier, but also because the majority of the weight is farther away from the center of rotation. Take a weight on a string, and spin it around. You'll notice it takes more energy to spin the same weight on a larger length of string, so even if you get larger diameter wheels that weigh the same as your old wheels, it still adversely affects acceleration.

Currently, my Mirage is fitted with 9.7 lb 13" Enkei wheels made for the Civic VX, with 175/70/13 General Altimax RT43 tires weighing about 14 lbs each. It actually gets up off the line rather well, and I have no trouble shifting at 2500 RPM while not getting run over by cars behind me. If I let it go up to 3k, I can typically pull out in front of others. With only 74 ponies, that's a good thing.

But, of course, the allure of reduced sidewall deflection and aesthetic properties of bigger wheels and low-pro tires has me wondering if I should take the leap and try out bigger wheels and stickier tires at the expense of acceleration and fuel economy.

What are your thoughts?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Part of me wants to talk you into going for it just so I can see what it looks like on the Mirage. The other part of me hopes you don't do it because I would have that picture in my head as I passed every tire and rim shop as I rode around on the 14" factory wheels I wish looked as cool as yours.....

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Honestly, I'd keep those VX rims and just get coilovers/lower and firmer springs. Low profile tires cost more, and wear more easily. Alternately, sell me those honda rims at forum friend prices(eh? eh?), and get whatever your heart desires/wallet allows!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey at least post some pics so we can see what those wheels look like on there!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm definitely keeping the VX rims either way I go, either as my primary set or as winter wheels. I already do have Tein springs installed, so the handing is vastly improved over stock. But here's how it looks with the VX wheels:
    Name:  Tein driver.jpg
Views: 1451
Size:  88.1 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    I'm definitely keeping the VX rims either way I go, either as my primary set or as winter wheels. I already do have Tein springs installed, so the handing is vastly improved over stock. But here's how it looks with the VX wheels:
    Name:  Tein driver.jpg
Views: 1451
Size:  88.1 KB
    That looks great! I love the bronze on the VX's, they have aged really well as a design.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah I like that wheel and tire setup too! Looks cool!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ed100 View Post
    Yeah I like that wheel and tire setup too! Looks cool!
    I got some Sparco Assetto Gara wtih Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring in 185/60/14 and I love it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Question

if I go with those Civic VX Rims 13" what tires should I use/size? im in a tropical country.

I really like the looks of those rims and already had found someone selling but only has 3 and still have to look for 1 more to complete the set.

currently im using the OEM rims 15"s tires 175/55R15

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Name:  Tire Size 2.jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  52.7 KB

So which would be better? and is it ok to use this type of setup in a tropical country? does it have any effects?
    Name:  Tire Size.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  66.3 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)