Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CVT owner seeking MPG advice

Country
    United States
    Thanks

CVT owner seeking MPG advice

How is everyone getting such high MPG? I don't know if it's just my car, but it mainly stays in the 30s, and barely gets to 40. One time, I got to 48 MPG (my personal best). I turn the A/C off sometimes to see the effect, but the MPG increases very little.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernadine View Post
    How is everyone getting such high MPG? I don't know if it's just my car, but it mainly stays in the 30s, and barely gets to 40. One time, I got to 48 MPG (my personal best). I turn the A/C off sometimes to see the effect, but the MPG increases very little.

It's all about how you drive, and no driving like an old person is not all you need to do to get great fuel economy.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    It's all about how you drive, and no driving like an old person is not all you need to do to get great fuel economy.
    What's your technique? I try to keep the RPMs as low as possible. Is that helpful?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The simplest goal would be to coast as much as possible. If you have the manual, put it in neutral whenever you can get away with it safely. If you have the CVT, try rolling up to a little over your target speed and coasting down to a little below it; say +5/10 to -5/10. This generally gets better mileage than holding it right at your target speed, though I make you no promises.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GrnBn For This Useful Post:

Bernadine (04-08-2015)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    my advice for the CVT is to use cruise control like you never have before. it looooves cruise control.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to El Kapitan For This Useful Post:

Bernadine (04-08-2015),Daox (04-08-2015),ToXiQ (04-09-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kapitan View Post
    my advice for the CVT is to use cruise control like you never have before. it looooves cruise control.
    Right!? I easily get >35 mpg in the city by using the cruise intermittently.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    before i bought this car, i had never driven a CVT and hardly ever used CC, even on the highway. now, it's part of almost every trip i take.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    When I wast testing the 2015 CVT I specifically tried different techniques to see what got the best fuel economy. Cruise control really seemed to be the best bet. It seemed to hold lower rpms than if I was manually in control.

For a manual trans, coasting is great. Basically anything that helps you avoid using your brakes is good. Anticipating lights, watching traffic patterns way ahead of you, etc.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Phantasmagoria
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    On any automatic, including my CVT, I'll always use cruise at any speed over 25mph! I cannot control the throttle for economy as good as the computer.

Also I've noticed that speeds over 65 mph on the highway really kills fuel economy. So I set the cruise for 65 and let them pass me!
    It doesn't really save much time when speeding , but it sure eats fuel.

I sometimes kick the CVT into Neutral when approaching a downhill grade to take some energy from gravity. I'm not sure what overall effect this has, but the CVT will slow the car somewhat going downhill with cruise on.
    Last edited by DonHoot; 04-08-2015 at 09:29 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GrnBn View Post
    If you have the manual, put it in neutral whenever you can get away with it safely.
    If I understand correctly, putting the manual in neutral may not be better. Letting off the gas completely and engine braking (even without downshifting) allows the fuel injectors to shut off and the forward momentum of wheels through gearbox to engine keeps the engine spinning. If it's in neutral, it has to keep using fuel to keep the engine spinning. Obviously coasting in gear will slow you down faster than neutral, but I don't know if it's a fair trade off. That's where keeping your eyes far down the road and anticipating slowing down really helps mileage.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)