Thread: Several seconds of turning over before starting?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question Several seconds of turning over before starting?

I've had my 2015 Mirage ES for 2 weeks now, and on 2 separate occasions, the car has turned over for probably 3-5 seconds before finally starting. It happened again today. Not a labored crank, like I'm used to in the dead of winter. There has been no rain for a couple days, and temp around 65f. I'm just pressing and releasing the start button, not holding it down. Most days, it starts up within a second. Obviously if it continues, I'll take it to the dealer to get looked at, just wondered if anyone else had run into that?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mine did it once. I explained it here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I saw your previous thread, but the variables didn't line up with your situation. It's been in the 50s and 60s here, and it had been sitting for about 4 hours after being driven 6 miles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How low was the gas? I'd check the gas cap and pressure on the gas tank.

I'm used to not turning the car off when pumping gas and when the gas gets low, it seems like the pressure drops so much that the engine stalls. When I turn it back on, it will crank and almost start, but to make it fully start, I push on the gas pedal a little and it fires up.

That's my only experience in the topic.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Tank was over 3/4 full. This gas cap doesn't "click" as easily as other caps I've used. I did make sure it clicked once though. I'll try pumping the gas a bit next time, thanks!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post

I'm used to not turning the car off when pumping gas and when the gas gets low, it seems like the pressure drops so much that the engine stalls. When I turn it back on, it will crank and almost start, but to make it fully start, I push on the gas pedal a little and it fires up.

That's my only experience in the topic.
    Low fuel level will not affect the pressure at all. As long as there is enough fuel in the tank for the fuel pump to pickup (probably around 1 gallon) fuel pressure will be the same as a full tank. All modern cars have an EVAP system connected to the fuel tank. Depending on conditions, the fuel tank can actually be under a slight vacuum.