Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brake pads worn out at 25K!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    Dang I can't even comprehend these prices, the most I've ever spent on brakes was my integra when I switched to slotted rotors all around and hawk hp pads, still under 200. Most front brake jobs cost me about $20 from rock auto, I never turn rotors, I only replace, they are normally really cheap and worth it.
    The $20 pads are usually junk just made for people who are selling the car. If you step it up to the $30-40 range of brake pads you'll find they perform much better and last longer.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ahintofpepperjack For This Useful Post:

Daox (04-20-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fusion210 View Post
    $250 to install front pads/rotors is a total rip off. They just remove the tire, a couple other bolts, just clip the new pads in and bolt it back together. Based on that alone, the mechanic is ripping you off. It's barely harder than changing oil.
    Now that I think about it, it must've been $100 each for the rotors so the parts were $300 and the labor was $150.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've ran the cheapest pads on my civic $8 on rock auto, and got the same mileage (70k) as more expensive $40 pads, just a little less noise with the more expensive pads, the cheaper ones fade quicker when hot lapping or driving a down hill very aggressive but other than that they do the job.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If they don't also resurface the old rotors or install the new ones, they're not doing a complete job. It's commonly called "pad-slapping."

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Can you guys use the "B" drive mode to slow down the car before having to use the brakes as a means to conserve the brake pads/rotors? I believe this is called engine braking.

For example, in my i-MiEV, I use "B" drive mode, which further strengthens regenerative braking, while approaching a stop and before having to apply the brakes which helps conserve the brake rotors/pads.

If i remember right, does not the Mirage also have a "B drive mode? Forgive me if I am wrong here.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow - I couldn't imagine getting only 20K out of a set of front brakes! Are the cars being driven hard (tracked)?

I'm having to throw new rotors and pads on the front of the focus ... only because the salt rusts the rotors. I think the front pads could go 100K for me!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Replacing pads takes about an hour. $250 for that is one hell of a rate!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidricardo86 View Post
    Can you guys use the "B" drive mode to slow down the car before having to use the brakes as a means to conserve the brake pads/rotors? I believe this is called engine braking.

For example, in my i-MiEV, I use "B" drive mode, which further strengthens regenerative braking, while approaching a stop and before having to apply the brakes which helps conserve the brake rotors/pads.

If i remember right, does not the Mirage also have a "B drive mode? Forgive me if I am wrong here.
    a $250 brake job is a lot cheaper than a $7000 CVT replacement.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just got an email from mitsubishiName:  image.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  77.3 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 44.3 mpg (US) ... 18.8 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    I don't think you need rotors yet.

There is a couple of pads listed at Advance Auto Parts.
    I bought those pads and had them installed at an oil change place for $70. They said the rotors looked ok. Brakes seem to be working well now. Hopefully they'll last longer then the originals. I'd much rather take a chance on an aftermarket part compared to a known bad stock part.

Thanks!!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)