Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: odd thing happening in 2015 mirage es [Solved: loose fuse insert]

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palebeachbum View Post
    Its definitely not the AC compressor cycling. With my symptom, the idle bounces up and down in much faster intervals. A rubberband effect. Doesn't seem to matter if the AC is on or not. Based on the behavior I suspect something is wrong with the fuel management electronics or electronic throttlebody. Its not behaved this way in maybe 2mos, but its done it maybe a half dozen times in 2yrs of ownership. Always on rainy warm days upon startup with a cold engine. When its done it, I've played with it a little to see what might get it to self correct itself. Giving it some throttle. Shutting it off and immediately restarting. Neither of which over work. The only the thing that seems to "fix" it is putting it in gear. The symptom immediately stops. I'll also note that I had one occurrence of the car being extremely difficult to start after starting it cold, immediately pulling forward in my driveway, then shutting off. The next day when I tried to start it, it took 5 attempt am I had to hold the throttle to the floor. When it finally started, the exhaust belched a huge cloud of black smoke. All these concerning symptoms are very infrequent tho. Day to day the car runs like a charm.
    I read the thread and you haven't stated whether or not you've had the recall completed for reflash of the ECU for cold weather fuel mixtures.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah I've had all the recalls performed. The issue isn't a cold weather issue. Only warm, high humidity conditions.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do you have a scan tool that allows live view? Next time it happens bring up the PID (live view) and take a look at all the sensor inputs.

Hard start followed by Black clouds of smoke indicate rich condition. On an EFI car of this caliber (professionally tuned and built) its usually an injector leaking.

There is tests you can do if your truly interested i can explain them. Not saying it IS your issue but it makes sense. The car would take a bit to run freely on all cylinders if it were truly bad enough. (fouled plug)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (01-14-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Unfortunately, I only have a basic OBDII scan tool that shows codes with a description. Since no warning lights ever come on, I've not thought to try using it. If it were a leaking injector, wouldn't the car run poorly on a regular basis?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to palebeachbum For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-13-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by palebeachbum View Post
    Unfortunately, I only have a basic OBDII scan tool that shows codes with a description. Since no warning lights ever come on, I've not thought to try using it. If it were a leaking injector, wouldn't the car run poorly on a regular basis?

Edit: i misunderstood what your reply - i would suspect more often than what you said but it's an electro-mechanical devise so i don't think anything is impossible

I would definitely NOT start the car next time and immediately pull the plugs

Last edited by MightyMirageMpg; 01-14-2017 at 01:52 AM.