Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New owner from Texas. What can I expect?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got under the car it looks like just a drain plug like the oil pan. Can u just pull the plug, drain and then add new fluid? And there is no filter?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes I believe so, a cvt owner might be able to help you there :P

Also if I had a cvt I would advise against doing a grill block for mpg, the transmission cooler is built into the radiator if I am correct and Texas does get very hot! The winter might be different but Texas doesn't get much of a winter.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah I'm for sure not going to block it I get on the highway and do 85-90 every morning and night to and from work. I hope this isn't bad for the "break in" period.. Nothing I can do about it though, if you don't do at least 80 you will get run over in Texas. Austins speed limit is 85

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The CVT is going to be the limiting factor for these. Wonder what the options are to swap to manual when the CVT goes at 50K miles and a $7000 repair is out of the question.

Nissan (Jatco) CVTs are awful for reliability.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mine came with a 10 year 100k power train warranty. Would it not cover that?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The mirage is a pretty low powered car. I imagine it would make the warranty period easily.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah I will most likely hit my 100,000 mile warranty in 5 years. I would be looking to trade in at around 180k. I'm sure from what I'm hearing it will make it till then. I'm going to flush my CVT every 30k

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Flush it when the owners manual says to.
    I love everything about Mitsubishi!!!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to grsupercity For This Useful Post:

Daox (04-21-2015)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicki Mirage View Post
    Mine came with a 10 year 100k power train warranty. Would it not cover that?

Yes, it would be covered. Keep this in mind when people bring up the poor reliability of the Nissan CVT, which is VERY similar but not identical to the CVT used in our cars.

1. The Nissan cars that use the similar CVT are about 500 pounds heavier than our cars. The extra weight puts more stress on the transmission.

2. The Nissan cars that use the similar CVT put out 35 hp more than our cars. The extra power puts more stress on the CVT.

3. The Nissan cars come with 185/65/15 tires stock while our Mirage comes with 165/65/14 tires stock. This equals a 9% height difference which changes the final drive ratio. So, the taller tires put more stress on the CVT transmission too.

So you see, there are more things at work which could cause a decreased life span on the CVT transmission in a heavier, more powerful, and steeper geared car. So, you can not assume that the Mirage will have the same problems due to these differences.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, that covers your transmission . No worry,s

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)